Repairing a center brace for a bow front aquarium - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Repairing a center brace for a bow front aquarium

I just found this place and this is my first post! Anyone ever had to do repair a center brace? The middle plastic brace on the 72 gallon bow front I have busted at the back of the tank. Looking at different places online, I've found several DIY fixes for it. I think I'm going to get some plexiglass cut to fit, and seal it with epoxy under the plastic brace and screw in some nylon screws to connect the new brace with the old, busted one. Does that sound like a doable and workable solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharmon View Post
I just found this place and this is my first post! Anyone ever had to do repair a center brace? The middle plastic brace on the 72 gallon bow front I have busted at the back of the tank. Looking at different places online, I've found several DIY fixes for it. I think I'm going to get some plexiglass cut to fit, and seal it with epoxy under the plastic brace and screw in some nylon screws to connect the new brace with the old, busted one. Does that sound like a doable and workable solution?
Thats exactly what others have done (on here) and it's worked fine as far as I know.

My Display Tanks:
240 Gallon Mixed Reef- Retired
180 Gallon Planted Tank- Retired
180 Reef under construction
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

So when I apply the epoxy, do I apply it directly to the glass of the tank? In other words, I apply the epoxy on the front glass and the back glass and secure the new plexiglass brace to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Archer Fish

I've never repaired a brace. However, I'd recommend gluing it to both sides of the old brace rather than the glass. If the brace is broken near the frame of the tank, I'd put epoxy on whatever is left of the old brace, and under the frame as much as you can.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I epoxy the new brace to the old brace, but do not put any epoxy on the new brace to the glass, correct?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Archer Fish

Yes, that's what I would do.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Bowfin

Send a message via AIM to wkp42 Send a message via Yahoo to wkp42
I am sure you are well on your way with the plexi glass and epoxy but I had the same problem. I simply fabricated a stainless steel brace from a tiny u beam and welded ears on each end to hang down on the front and back of the tank (I have a canopy which hides this, but if painted black it would be un-noticable). Make sure whatever you do the brace leaves the top of the tank width the same as the bottom of the tank width so the glass can endure stress as it was designed to do.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Eurypterid

I used s/s bolts and nuts and it worked fine.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

The only thing I'm wondering about is this: the brace is broken pretty far back toward the tank. Here are two pictures so you can see. Do I just need to get a piece of plexiglass much wider than the original brace so that I can epoxy it on the broken end to the new brace? I've included an edited picture of what I'm talking about.

The grayish lines are how wide the new brace will be. The filled in greenish color is where I'll apply the epoxy.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I have some GE Silicone II here. Can I use that, or should I buy something else? What do you suggest?