Best way to filter a 55 gallon? - Carolina Fish Talk
  Carolina Fish Talk  

Go Back   Carolina Fish Talk > Freshwater Aquaria Topics > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Noctiluca

Default Best way to filter a 55 gallon?

Hey,
I just got a 55 gallon aquarium at the petco sale. Originally I was going to just use a SunSun canister filter but decided it may not be a good idea because replacement parts are hard to find. Im considering buying a used canister filter from a brand like eheim. I also have a 10 gallon laying around, would a sump running the same GPH pump as the canister, be as effective than the canister? Im deciding between a wet/dry and a submerged media sump. The other idea was a overhead filter. The sketch it the submerged filter.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Sump.png (17.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by clemsonguy1125; 07-17-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Bowfin

Fresh, Salt? Salt, sump is the only way to go, don't think many peeps use full canister on salt tanks, even fish only?

Live sand and rock? If so really don't need much filtration. Just skimmer. Maybe carbon and accasonally phosphate remover depending on what you are planning on keeping.

Canister great for Fresh. I have a bunch of filetrs laying around that would work great for a 55, My 55 is now my sump and got rid of a 75, but just the glass so I have the filter for both still. PM me if you need anything.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Noctiluca

Its going to be a freshwater tank.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Bowfin

Got a Second Nature Whisper 5 and Hot Magnum 350 if interested. Both together would do great on a 55. Maybe a little over kill though.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Noctiluca

Thanks, the only thing your a decent ways away from me, would you suggest a sump on a fw tank this small? I typically see them on larger tanks.

Last edited by clemsonguy1125; 07-17-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Check out Fish & Pond Supplies, Aquarium Supplies, Live Tropical Fish there aquatop canister filters with UV lights are reasonably priced and work great.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Bowfin

For sure if you have the means, sump is a plus on just about any tank as long as you have space and don't mind the extra noise. Added total system volume and a place to hide equipment: pumps, filters, heaters, etc... also keeps water level in display constant which is great. Just my opinion, everyone and every system is different. What kind of fish are you thinking? I haven't kept fresh in years, but you can do some research and get some ideas via internet.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Noctiluca

SunSun and aquatop are actually the same brand. Im looking for a quiet filter so maybe a sump is not a good idea. One question I have is when using a overflow and if the pump cuts off, wouldnt the overflow flood the sump until the water level reached below the over flow. I think if I use a over flow, Ill build a DIY pvc one.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Bowfin

Aquatop looks nice and can't beat that price, but not sure about combo stuff? Kinda like tv/vcr or tv/dvd if one component breaks your screwed, but at that price what the heck replace the whole thing. Always good to have a back up plan and some kind of spare (pump, filter, heater or any other critical equipment) around in case of failure so you don't have to panic and run out for an immediate purchase or pay overnight day shipping. Peace of mind is key for me.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Bowfin

Check this out if considering sump and aren't sure.

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Sump will not flood or overflow if designed and built properly. Very loud though. Like living near train tracks or airport, you get used to it and after a while it may help you sleep.