Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Thai Micro crab

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  aquaponicpaw 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am so stoked about my newest aquisition. I am slowly building up and invert/planted tank and I just needed to... Well, show you guys what I am so excited about:

View attachment 10182

View attachment 10183

View attachment 10184

these guys are the coolest, Shrimp and plant friendly and fully aquatic:Crab::Crab:

#5 ·
That is very cool!

Next item: Poor man's Acropora coral. lol :D

#8 ·
Cool! any pics availible. it has been slowly evolving for me. At first I wanted to do a planted tank. But right now i think I may be leaning towards more of a rockscape. At the moment it just has some houseplant clippings (pothos) and a little bit of java moss.

Inhabitants are cherry shrimp, trumpet and Ramshorn snails and the spider crabs. the crabs are so tiny. none are larger than a nickle. In the future I may add some Mexican dwarf crays and hopefully some type of micro Rasbora.

Just trying to take it super slow, as I don't want any type of predation.

#9 ·
I went through hell to get them. Ordered from overseas, and after almost 2 months of back and forth with the supplier, and a few hundred spent...

(lots of DOA. At one point he shipped me 80 and only 1 arrived alive). I finally have a decent little colony. Supplier still owes me a substantial quantity.

#13 ·
Well, will sell some depending on the quantity that you want. But they are not cheap in comparison to shrimp. They do however have a longer lifespan. 18 months. If you are serious we can discuss further via PM. This is my last response for tonight though gotta get ready for Work. But I will respond tommorow.

A couple of things you need to know:

they love floating plants

they will breed in captivity, I've witnessed it. No offspring yet.

No one has yet raised any of the larvae to adulthood.

these things are super small. so they are subject to become an expensive meal if not careful.

I wouldn't risk keeping them in anything but a well established tank with plants.

#18 · (Edited)
They are strictly freshwater. But for some reason no one has been able to get them past their larval stage in captivity. Supposedly, they are found in only one body of water, And all the second hand info I get says that it is no where near saltwater.

I have witnessed them breeding though. actually they do it often.(buncha' little horndogs). So I expect to have some first hand experience that I can share with you guys soon.

#20 ·
I saw your ad for the micro crabs on craigslist and the listing on ebay recently. I was really tempted to get them, but reading about all the failed attempts to keep their zoea alive held me back. I hope someone figures it out because they'd make an awesome addition to the hobby if they become more common.

#21 ·
Good point, I'm surprised that more people are not interested in them. I figure if enough people keep them. Someone will have success. I think they just need to be kept in aquariums with the right variable.And because all of us are vastly different keepers. someone will eventually get it.

Msjinkdz, mentioned above^^^^ told me that she found babies past the larval stage out of nowhere in one of her tanks. So I believe it will eventually happen.

I'm just surprised by the amount of mating that has been going on in my tank. because prior to me keeping them, I haven't heard much mention of the act.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.