Algae question - Carolina Fish Talk
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

Algae question

So for the past 2-3 days my tank has had a fast growing algae on the glass that is like a hazy green film. comes off easy basically with one pass of the magnet cleaner but it grows back within 3 hrs. i am truly amazed with how fast it grows. i just finished testing my water and for some reason my params. seem to be better then before
No2- is almost undetectable maybe .02
No3- is better then before at about 25ppm when it was almost 45
and NH3/NH4- 0 ppm
I'm thinking that it was a No3 spike due to the new rock that i put in the tank maybe 3-4 days ago but nitrates seem lower than before, so actually the extra rock is already helping to lower No2,No3, and NH3/NH4. any professional opinions on how to rid the tank of it would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Its better to remain quiet and appear stupid, then to talk and remove all doubt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Phytoplankton

It may be cyanobacteria.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Eurypterid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah.DeMarco View Post
No2- is almost undetectable maybe .02

The algae is no biggie at the moment as it can soon be addressed...back in the early 70's we kept our glass nice and green...haha, how times change.

BUT, the concern is presence of Nitrite...your NO2 listed is the second stage of nitrogen process, and the tank is truly not ready for critters.

***A few reasons for the presence of toxic compounds are over feeding, over crowding, too few/not enough % of partial water changes, and a non existent or overworked nitrogen cycle. Once these issues are equalized, your aquarium will provide a healthy environment for the fishes, disease, and parasite infestations will be on the rare side.

No offense, just the truth...I've seen some of the best advice on all your issues, but you do not seem to follow all the years of knowledge...members are trying to save you headaches and sea critters lives. Patience ... PLEASE...for the critters sake.
Mac and Ebone like this.

Member, & CFT Mentor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

so even the .02ppm of No2 is enough to make the tank unsafe? there has always been a slight amount of No2 in my system so why am i just now running into algae problems 4 months in?

"Its better to remain quiet and appear stupid, then to talk and remove all doubt"
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

overfeeding could be part of the problem. i doubt that there is too much of a biological load seeing that i have 3 fish and a clean up crue. and i try to do a 15% water change every 2-3 weeks

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

i'm thinking that i didn't have enough biological filtration and adding all the new rock threw things off balance

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Eurypterid

Exclamation

Happy to read that your ammonia is finally at zero.

Truly, nitrite is not good, but maybe not quite toxic enough to warrant measuring in SOME marine tanks. But, the mechanisms by which it can be toxic and the final discovered evidence for its toxicity is still concerning in mixed reef aquariums, which imho is what you are trying to achieve.

Given you also have nitrates...do you have accurate, up to date testing products for an NO2 reading? Because ideally it really should be Zero.

Good luck in your endeavors...

As you know, I have tried with sound advice to no avail...I'm respectfully done.

Member, & CFT Mentor

Last edited by oceandude; 02-15-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandude View Post
Happy to read that your ammonia is finally at zero.

Truly, nitrite is not good, but maybe not quite toxic enough to warrant measuring in SOME marine tanks. But, the mechanisms by which it can be toxic and the final discovered evidence for its toxicity is still concerning in mixed reef aquariums, which imho is what you are trying to achieve.

Given you also have nitrates...do you have accurate, up to date testing products for an NO2 reading? Because ideally it really should be Zero.

Good luck in your endeavors...out here.

yes i recently bought a red sea test kit, and based on the reviews i think it is a reputable one

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

now since i put like 3 times as much rock in the tank once the beneficial bacteria grows on/in it won't that really help to stabilize my No2/No3?

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Goonch Catfish

I have been sort of baffled at your nitrite reading that has been there so long...did you bring a water sample here? I don't remember testing nitrite, but I know I would have if you had been getting a reading after all this time...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
oceandude likes this.