Housing Ghost Shrimp? - Carolina Fish Talk
  Carolina Fish Talk  

Go Back   Carolina Fish Talk > Saltwater Aquaria Topics > General Saltwater Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Silverside

Default Housing Ghost Shrimp?

So...how does everyone here house their ghost shrimp that they keep on hand for their predatory fish? In the recent past, I've gotten myself a Dwarf Zebra Lion who is fond of live ghost shrimp. I am now gut loading them so I need to keep them for longer periods of time...not to mention, I don't feel like going to the pet store multiple times each week.

What is the easiest way to keep these fellas alive the longest? I hear you can acclimate them to a salt water tank and they can last weeks in the tank and provide a predatory fish with long term food?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Shortfin Mako

If you are talking specifically about the freshwater varieties, I haven't tried to acclimate them to seawater.

In your case I'd keep them in mostly fresh water with a stable pH, and especially with high oxygen and low ammonia. Some folks tend to neglect food holding tanks, but they are fairly easy to keep clean with normal husbandry.

Any power filter with strainer will work fine for filtration/water movement and oxygenation, but you can also use an air pump with a big sponge filter (or both) for good biological filtration.

Government will NEVER solve the problems we elect them to solve, otherwise they'd be out of a job.
--
Eaton C. Bass
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Shortfin Mako

As a side note, since you're in Wilmington, you should be able to find the local glass/grass shrimp by the billions at low tide in any brackish stream/estuary,.

You just need to be cautious of importing diseases and such. A 4-6 week quarantine and hyposalinity treatment, prior to feeding is helpful but fairly impractical unless you have several holding tanks you can keep from cross contaminating.

A cheap skimmer on the tank (even a PVC skimmer with an air pump) and some mild vodka dosing (if needed) will keep the nitrates very low.

Government will NEVER solve the problems we elect them to solve, otherwise they'd be out of a job.
--
Eaton C. Bass
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Silverside

If they can survive in warm aquarium water I don't see why not I don't think they require pristine water I used to catch them for bait back home in California. I always found them in the dirty murky polluted waters of the SF bay estuaries. They probably make for a good clean up, I used to catch them with cat food. I din't know there was fresh water gost shrimp.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Sailfish

I have in the past just loaded the tank up with um. Let the fish pick um off as they want.

www.pictureperfecttanks.com

Cape Fear Aquarium Society

http://capefearaquariumsociety.com/

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/foru...arium-society/
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Silverside

I did that the other day (bought 20) and I dropped 10 in the first day and 10 in 2 days later....but half of them end up dying and just floating on top of the tank lol.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Arrow Worm

The best way to house ghost shrimp is as follows. First you need an aquarium, air pump, filter, lighting, substrate, and a few live/fake plants for cover. Wrap some filter padding around the filter intake so you will not suck up any babies when they start multiplying. You set up the freshwater aquarium like normal with everything running, let your tank cycle naturally for a few days and add the shrimp and a few mystery snails your best bet is to add as many shrimp as you can buy and around 5 mystery snails. The shrimp will eat the mucous that the snails produce and they will live symbiotically eating the same foods. Feed the shrimp a good food like the Omega One kelp flakes and a small pelleted food like Spectrum. Supplement their diet with a 2" X 2" sheet of nori every week and remove uneaten nori that night. Change 25% of the water every week and you should eventually start having baby shrimps within a few weeks. They last a long time and by doing this you will have some nice sized gut loaded ghost shrimp ready for feeding fairly soon. This is how i did it to feed to my angler fish before he got on frozen foods.

WTB True Percula Clowns
1-252-904-3728
Thomas Webb
Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Noctiluca

Sounds like a lot of work.. why not just throw some plants in a tank, feed, and forget about it?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Arrow Worm

your filter will suck up all of the free floating larva and you will need some very very very tiny foods to feed them. Also they are sensitive to nitrates and will slowly decline and stop breeding if those levels are high.

WTB True Percula Clowns
1-252-904-3728
Thomas Webb