Facebook - Carolina Fish Talk
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

Facebook

ReefSMART, and indeed, even the farm events...are just not seeing the excitement on the forum we used to. :( If you go back in this section...there are dozens of posts from excited hobbyists on pretty much every RS thread...now...almost radio silence! But, never fear...I figured out where everyone went! Facebook!!!

https://m.facebook.com/ReefSMART/

Please hit us up with a "Like" and add yourself as "Going" to the event!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1592892461015521/?ti=as

If there are any other media outlets you browse "reef stuff" on, (like Coralina Reefers on Facebook) please let us know! Thanks, and as always...see ya at the show!!!

Definitely check out some of our raffle posts on FB - more last minute ones rolling in all the time! As well as vendors!
Anks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

I didn't want to high jack the other thread with discussing this topic, but Facebook has definitely changed the game as far as connecting groups of like minded individuals online. I still feel like forums have a place, but they are only as strong and active as the members want it to be.
PuffyLuv, oceandude and figuero like this.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

True story. I think I have been trying to fight the good fight to keep forums alive...I mean, look at my join date for goodness sake, I am fond of this place in particular! But, sadly...if the posts continue to get almost nothing here I will probably stop...quick poll...does anyone here rely just on the forums for reefing news, and not use Facebook at all? Or do you use another form of social media, like Twitter? I haven't been able to fully figure that one out yet, LOL...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

I am pretty active in several Facebook groups, but this is the only site I do anything reef keeping/aquarium related. I am quite fond of this site as well and I like the format of the site. Facebook groups are made and broken by the admins they have running the page; and from what I've seen its hard to find a balance between being a dictator to allowing the page to turn into a free-for-all. Regarding site traffic it has been pretty slow, but we have actually seen a bit of an uptick over the last few months. I don't know what the future holds for the site and membership, but I plan on being here! =)
oceandude and bryanr like this.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 AM
Mac
Arrow Worm

I only use forums. I don't like facebook groups...
I hear a lot of people hate how this site is setup now, which may be the problem? I've heard it has tons of ads... Does no one else use an ad-blocker?
oceandude and BMW540 like this.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 AM
Shortfin Mako

I think that is part of it Mac. From my understanding its super hard to access via phone now. Plus people are on Facebook anyway because you can contact and order from online vendors way easier than through a forum. Especially if you just want to buy stuff.

ReefCentral will never die and forums will always be around because they are a topic driven Wikipedia of people that "do the thing."

Which can be good if your source material is good and you have lots of experienced members that are somewhat active.

If you Google "North Carolina Aquarium Forum" the first 3 hits are still CFT so we obviously did something right at some point.
oceandude likes this.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day......

"I cannot afford to waste my time making money." -Louis Agassiz
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Phytoplankton

This site is just too much to deal with by phone. If I have to go to my cpu everytime I want to post a pic then I most certainly will just avoid it all together. I rarely use my cpu unless I need to print. I would love to have a forum to go to but only if it's easy to use and navigate. But realistically Facebook is the platform now. It's too easy to NOT use!

That being said, feel free to add me on Facebook if we are already friends from here.

Julius Padilla
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Silverside

I agree this site has become hard to navigate on your phone, and the ads are excessive...but they need to make $money$ to keep the site running. Recently I wanted to report an issue about being unable to post in the freebie section. To report this I had to watch a 30 second video (AD) to get to the authentication that was hard to understand. Then a few PM's from basically suggesting it's my PC/browser...it is frustrating beyond words.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Noctiluca

I have never joined facebook and never plan to. It makes using any of their pages pretty difficult as they constantly want you to sign in and lock the page after a few minutes if you dont. The only time I use it is if a company doesn't have a real site or to look a the flyers/ specials that are posted.

I dont have that much trouble using the forum. I use tapatalk on my phone and the classic view with adblock pluggin and it seems to work fine.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 PM

I pretty much only look at this forum, but I do have a facebook page which apparently i have tons of new notifications everyday and somehow I am logged in constantly, but I rarely if ever go to facebook.