Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

The Headache

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  treedog5 
#1 ·
Dear Cyano, I hope you starve.

So 4 months to this date my tank has been running. So far water quality has been great. I have aragonite sand that I got from a friend, I rinsed it a good 2-4 times till the water ran clean.

I know I'm in the "uglies" stage. Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this stuff. I'm running GFO in a reactor and just changed out to some new bulbs in hope to get rid of it.

Thoughts? Thanks guys. Also would like to have someone test my water, maybe there's something I'm not seeing? Idk. Located in Raleigh area.

#6 ·
Chemi-clean will indeed knock it out fast. But it will come back if you don't get at the cause. It takes a while for the GFO to work. Be sure it hasn't clumped in the reactor. It's a bit of an art to keep it gently tumbling, kind of bubbling across the whole surface without throwing out fines, but that's when it's most effective, I think. I don't trust the API kits. They don't start to measure any phosphate at all (in my experience) until it gets to .25. By then the horse is out of the barn. You want a reading below .05, preferably .03 or less. If you don't yet have shrimp in the tank, you can try Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh and Waste-Away. See his web site. As I've noted several times on this site, that regimen is what finally cured my "headache." Good luck.

#7 ·
I adjusted my flow when I got a bit of red cyno and added chemi pure elite and it went away pretty quickly. I have never had a problem since then and I have never had it in our other tank. I have never used a reactor in either tank. I did manually remove what I could.

#10 ·
Same system? Still looks a bit raw. You can add some macroalgae to outcompete the cyano for nutrients.

Also, what is your source water? Are you using RO? If not your FW source could be the origin of your nutrient issues.

#11 ·
Yeah same system. I thought about adding some macro. Haven't decided yet. I do use rodi water and I also have well water so I don't see it being my water. My thought was just maybe the sand? I did rinse it a good 5 times. My bioload is low as well. 3 small fish, a cleaner shrimp and a smaller cuc. 30 or so cerths, 20 nas, 5 hermits and 2 turbos. I only feed once a day. Only enough for them to eat it all with no waste.

#13 · (Edited)
I started having severe headaches more than three months ago and it really bothered me until I found an excellent remedy. During quarantine I gained extra weight and now I decided to go in for sports. It was a great idea, but because of the long runs I got severe headaches. This ruined my plans and I could not continue training. I was just desperate, but I was lucky that I came across Kratom. This is a plant with a wide spectrum of action and I am very glad that I began to use it. The effect of kratom was awesome and the headaches stopped tormenting me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.