Carolina Fish Talk - View Single Post - Cyanobacteria
Thread: Cyanobacteria
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Magicpenny
Phytoplankton

Do you feel there is such a thing as a manageable amount of cyano?I've been running on status-quo for a while while I was off the site here, but I've had a small amount of cyano in my tank as long as it's been running (over two years) with no change. it never got on the coral or more than 1/2" up the rocks, went completely away every night, and didn't grow up the glass but a little bit. I could never figure out why really, but it never got out of hand, so I quit fighting with it. I feel like (and this is just a straight up guess) that it was mostly due to my tank's location right next to a window that gets strong reflected light off of my neighbor's house. The best improvement I had, despite trying phosban reactors, adding a refugium for nutrient uptake, and cutting my light cycle to no more than 6 hours a day, was when I started leaving the blinds closed all the time on that window. Course that's just me and chemicals are scary and I'm lazy and my tank shows it lol. But that's my question/contribution to this conversation Other than being ugly, is it really that bad in and of itself?

I was initially planning on being a casual fan, but then I thought, why not just let it consume my soul instead?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome