hives after cleaning aquarium - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

Unhappy hives after cleaning aquarium

I have gotten very small bumps on my forearm after cleaning my freshwater aquariums (water changes) in the past. They generally go away fairly quickly. I cleaned the tanks this past Sat. I have ~6 large red bumps (size of mosquito bites) on one forearm that itch like crazy. They aren't going away like the little ones I usually get. Benadryl and cortisone cream doesn't help much. An ice pack kind of numbs the itching for a short time. Anyone else ever had this before or know what it could be???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Silverside

Maybe bristle worm sting? Vinegar should help in this case, but please do your own research first before applying anything on the affected area. It's a pure guess based on the provided information in your post.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

No bristleworms in freshwater, and i'm not aware of any comparable stinging inverts that are likely to persist in a freshwater aquarium, unless maybe you've added some wild-caught snails harboring digenea flukes (like swimmers itch). Are you sure those itchy bumps are from the aquarium, and not from handling firewood or cleaning up branches that might have had poison ivy on them? Poison ivy rash can take 2-4 days to show up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Omg, dude, you are the genius. This thing can solve a lot of problems connected with fish tanks and fishes, in particular. Moreover, it can be good way of filtration of the water, that will lower the chances to discover some marine reptiles, like this ones - https://arcreef.com/bristle-worms/bobbit-worm-eunice-aphroditois/. Frankly speaking, I still have nightmares about how these bobbit worms eat my dear fishes... In my opinion, this fish tank vacuum pump is the necessary thing for all fish owners.

Last edited by ArnoldWilder; 11-30-2019 at 02:06 PM.