Help with Java moss - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Help with Java moss

Hello everyone I have add Java moss to my tank around a week ago I am new with plants and it's the first one I have planted I have attached it to driftwood and few lava rocks I have no idea how it's doing I am adding a photo I have a 145 gallons tank and 1 t5 of 76 watt and 2 t8 of 36 watts each, soon I will be adding dwarf hair grass guys please have a look at grass and respond hope to get reply soon thanks. ImageUploadedByPG Free1453937594.466914.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Many plants take a few weeks to settle in and adapt to your tank conditions before they start putting on visible growth. The old stems and leaves may die back, especially if the plant was stressed during transport or if your tank conditions are very different from the tank where it was grown. Watch the branch tips for new growth to appear over the next few weeks. Also, if those are parrot cichlids i see, feed them plenty of vegetables in addition to fish food so hopefully they wont eat all your plants.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding yes I have parrots and venustus in my tank what vegetables I can feed my parrots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

peas, sweet potato, zucchini, spinach, lettuce ...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Do venustus also eat vegetables?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

They're usually not plant eaters like severum & parrots are, but they might veggies and it certainly wont hurt them. I've found early all fish will eat peas, even fish that are mainly carnivorous. Just peel off the tough skin and squish the pea on the glass. I get the frozen organic ones and cook them lightly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Help with Java moss

Added 6 anubias to tank also and added a 60 watt led light so in total I have 1t5 of 72 watts 2 t8 of 36 watt each and led light of 60 watts I am not willing to add co2 so guys please tell me for how many hours I should keep the light on to keep my plants in good condition adding the photo of my setup the below picture is with only led lights on and also tell me that for how much time I should keep my air pump onImageUploadedByPG Free1454458819.534303.jpg
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

What is the height of that tank - about 24 inches? I dont have any tanks that big or deep, so I cant visualize how bright your tank is with all three lights running. But Java moss and Anubias are low-light plants and dont need much. I keep lights on about 12 hrs to approximate day length in the tropics, and adjust the number or wattage of lights until I get decent plant survival without too much algae. Floating plants (frogbit, salvinia, water sprite, guppy-grass, hornwort) are another good defense against algae, and they're also excellent for absorbing ammonia and nitrate. If your filter is keeping the water surface moving, you may not need the airstone. If the filter return is below the surface and not providing much surface agitation, then I would run the airstone all the time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

My tank hight is around 36 inches and length 48 inches and is 19 inches deep it has around 550 litres and my filter give movement to water cause it's a powerful filter but the inlet is below water to it don't produce air bubbles i also keep my lights on for around 12 hours and my air pump is off while the light are on below is the photo when all the lights are I have added a pair of each blue dolphin and ob peacock ImageUploadedByPG Free1454541483.867959.jpg
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Most of the gas exchange (O2 and CO2) happens at the water surface, so as long as the surface is moving, the bubbles are not important. But the bubbles wont cause any harm, and they do provide extra protection in case your filter stops running. wow 36" - I hope you have long arms!