CO2 ???'s... - Carolina Fish Talk
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerald

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

CO2 ???'s...

Hey all,

I have setup 3 planted tanks, 29 gal, 20 gal, and 5 gal, and I've been reading and trying to learn as much as I can about the plants I have. I keep hearing about CO2, does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, facts about this? Is a CO2 system a MUST have to keep live plants living/thriving? Does anyone have any DIY tips on building one or where I can buy a system that is not too expensive?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to do my best for my plants and the fish that are loving them.

Thanks for reading.
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

No, supplemental CO2 is NOT a must have for keeping most plants. There are a few species that dont do well without it. Whether it's a must have to satisfy your personal shopping cravings is another story ... Anyway, there are loads of DIY CO2 articles and videos online, using yeast and sugar. For small tanks like yours they work fine. Adding CO2 and strong lighting does allow a more dense and lush apperance, but its more labor-intesive to manage too.
reeffreak likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks

@Gerald

Thanks Gerald, I appreciate the information and advice. I have been doing some research online. I think i'm going to try the API CO2 Booster and see what it does along with my fertilizer regiment.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Noctiluca

Hey NCGUY, I'd like to add in my opinion here. It really depends on what plants you have in your tank, your lighting, and your fert regiment.

For instance, I have a 29 gallon with 2 T5HO bulbs, and a Finnex Planted + 24/7. I dose EI method and have a lot of demanding, fast growing plants. Because I have high lighting, and lots of nutrients in the tank I must supplement the plants with CO2.

What plants are you trying to grow and what lighting are you using?