VERY LARGE koi pond advice needed...... - Carolina Fish Talk
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerald

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

VERY LARGE koi pond advice needed......

So, I have been approached by a friend of a friend at our local parks and garden society to help with a problem. They have just acquired a large (30-40k gallon estimated) koi pond that has been allowed to recede into pretty poor condition. So far no fish loss, but the water is extremely murky and super green with algae and is currently getting little to no real maintenance. Not any fault of the organization, they just are not sure what to do. I anticipate if something is not done fairly quickly that during August with a rise in temp there may be massive die offs of fish.

(Apparently the last caretaker would just remove all of the fish they could capture in bins, drain the entire thing and then sanitize the entire pond. Then refill with new water and dump the fish back in. To me this seems like a really bad idea? And they would have major fish deaths right after this on an annual basis.)

They have reached out to some local pond and water feature maintenance companies and the quotes they have received for annual care is more then the entire budget for the facility. And the koi pond is a small fraction of what they have there.

I am currently doing massive amounts of research on this project in an attempt to give them a direction to start in. Unfortunately no one there or in the directing team has any experience with fish or pond care. I am almost exclusively saltwater oriented, but have basic knowledge of freshwater fish care. That being said, a system as large as this one is a bit daunting. If anyone has any experience they are willing to share with caring for water feature ponds or koi ponds in general please reach out. My number is 910.274.1606, feel free to text or call.

I am not a professional aquarium maintenance company or even being paid in any way to help them out. So your secrets are safe! LOL! I just want to make sure that when we (locals and tourists alike) take our children to visit this once really cool attraction that it looks nice and the fish are safe and healthy.

Thanks in advance for any help at all that you might have to give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:07 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Contact the NC Koi & Water Garden Society: About Us - North Carolina Koi & Watergarden Society
Not sure if we have any koi pond people left at CFT these days; I haven't seen any pond-related posts here in quite a long time.
Fish_Werx likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

Will do! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 PM
Mosquitofish

Contact the new hanover county extension agency. They are there to help and can tell you how they maintain theirs. Which is pretty nice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

Thanks for the responses! Hopefully what info we have found and the plan we have in place (with tweaks along the way) will help this thing get back to its former splendor!