where to get pond liner a good price - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

where to get pond liner a good price

any suggestions on where to good some good pond liner at a reasonable price. I need right much of it.

~Cammie

"Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Noctiluca

Home depot has it at a decent price. It is sold off a giant roll by the foot, usually in the garden dept outside.
They even have a good guide:
Buying Guide: Pond Liner

It will also depend on what mil. thickness you want. Most normal trash bags you buy at the grocery store are around 1mil. A really good contractor bag at the hardware store I have seen at 3mil and are decently thick. Some good pond liners are like 20mil.

Also depends if you want the plasticy type, which is like a tarp kind of, or the rubbery kind.

I've never seen it sold by the foot at Lowes, and I know the Lowes next to me doesn't because I tried to buy it last year and ended up driving to Jacksonville to the Home Depot.
Every once in a while I will see it at a random nursery on sale at a cheap price. Last time was some nursery I stopped in about half way between Jacksonville and Wilmington. Sale is probably over now though.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Bowfin

I got mine for my old pond at HD and never had any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

Cool thanks i will check them out. This will be a big project. Next I need to find a rock quarry or a place to get some stones or rocks for cheap! And a little help in exchange for some beer / cokes and pizza! Or trade for a few odds and ends i have levying around . It will be a fun project!

~Cammie

"Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Sailfish

I ordered some about 5 yrs ago for a pond I was doing for my rents. Honestly the price and shipping from a decent person on ebay is cheaper than a local store. Never had any issues with it either.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Silverside

Cammie, remember that you get what you pay for! All pond liner is not the same. The things you want when buying pond liner is a Fish Safe and UV Stable liner with a LONG Warrantee.

Here are a few examples:

Tetra Brand- Available in 20mil and 32mil PVC: Cheap to buy but only warranted for 5 years and only against manufacturer defects. Also, its pliability is temperature sensitive. The colder it gets the more stiff the liner is. When temps get below 40 it gets down right brittle. Should it develop a leak or puncture it is the most difficult liner to repair.

Aquascape Brand- Manufactured by Carlisle Co. 45mil Rubber ROOFING material. Made from recycled rubber and not Guaranteed fish safe and not guaranteed UV Stable. Recycled sounds like a great thing but you do not know what was used in the recycled process. 20 year warrantee but only against 'Manufacturer Defects' and is 'recommended that you completely cover liner to prevent UV breakdown'

Pond King Brand- Manufactured in China and is a "nominal 45 mil" which means it has an average thickness of 45mil. Some spots have been measured at 18mil and others at 60mil. Has a stated warantee of 20 years against 'Manufacturer Defects' and does not state to be UV Stable.

Firestone PondGard Brand- 45 mil 100% Virgin Rubber with 20 year warrantee on Everything bu punctures! Should this liner crack, split, shrink or degrade from UV it is replace. If it develops a puncture it is easilyrepaired with a $15.00 patch kit. This liner is heat tested at 190+ and cold tested at -60 and is plyable at this entire range. In the 20 years we have been selling this product, we have never seen a defect or had a warrantee claim.

On your second question about a rock quarry, please realize that most quarries in the eastern part of NC are producing a granite type stone that is high in Phosphates and will grow the best crop of hair algae you have seen. Rip Rap is the worst stone to use in a water feature. The stone to use is a fieldstone such as from Tennessee, Virginia or Pennsylvania.

Wednesday-Saturday 9:00am-4:00pm
180 Star Ridge Rd
Carthage, NC 28327
910-947-5333

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../banner005.jpg
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Arrow Worm

I was gonna ask if you had talked to Joe.. He's the king of those home pond things..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

Thanks for all replies. Definitely not using rip rap rock. I am familiar with that and not only does it have the qualities listed above but it would not be real pretty in a pond IMO. The area I am putting the pond is VERY shady. I am excited about the adventure on this build. I will continue to look for the liner. I want good price but also quality. Need to get the liner first before i get anything else. It will be a work in progress.

I have measured and I think the overall area I am wanting is about 14 x 25. Not sure yet as to the size of the liner Needed for those dimensions but at the deepest it is not quite 3 feet.

~Cammie

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Bowfin

My buddies Dad has several ponds for over 20 years now with HD liners and no issues yet and thats in Ohio.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Silverside

Cammie, you would need a 25x35 liner to accomodate that depth and have some overhang for 'just in case'. The cost on a Firestone Pondgard liner that size would be $743.75 ($.85 per sqft). Just remember that 45mil liner weighs .3 lbs. per square ft so that liner weighs 262.5 lbs. When ordering online make sure you realize the cost of shipping on something that heavy. That is over what UPS will ship I believe, so you will then be looking at motor freight common carrier.

Good luck on your project.

Wednesday-Saturday 9:00am-4:00pm
180 Star Ridge Rd
Carthage, NC 28327
910-947-5333

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../banner005.jpg