Phytoplankton

They are soooooo cute....love them!

888-CORAL-REEF
Research Studies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Goonch Catfish

Neato! I was thinking about making the fence extra large in the slider pond and keep a few box turtles in there - what do ya think, Gerald, is there any reason not to do this? Only thing I could think of is if the sliders and boxes did not get along, or if the box turtles would fall into the pond and be unable to climb out so well as the sliders...

Guess I am up to about four sliders right now, lol - Crush, the old standby I have had for many years (maybe 5 - 7?) who was almost bird food last year - rescued in the nick of time and nursed back to health (There WILL be a net cover on the turtle enclosure next spring, they are wintering in the farm for now since I did not have time to finish the new spot before winter) a rescue (he was in awful shape) from some kid's 10 gallon, and two new babies donated by a teacher who had kept them for her students until they got too big for the tank.

Anyways, what do you think, Gerald - Slider/Box enclosure work out okay?
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

I have not seen your pond, but unless it has low-gradient slopes and a shallow area I'd be afraid they may have trouble climbing out. Box turtles are pitiful swimmers. They are however quite GOOD at climbing fences or rough surfaces in corners. My enclosure uses 4 x 8 landscape timbers (3 boards high) for the walls, so they cant climb, and refrigerator shelves buried underneath so they cant tunnel out. I dont know how they'd act socially with sliders or painteds; never kept em together. Is there enough land area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM
LC
Noctiluca

What is the natural habitat generally like?

I know the colony that lives around my property are under the fallen leaves and debris in and around the woods. I have exposed some when renovating a naturalized plant bed near the woods under a huge oak, maple and a little pine.

Other than when one came out to lay eggs at my foundation or showed up in the middle of the yard in the hot sun obviously ill, I rarely see them even hanging out in the shade.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Goonch Catfish

I could make as much land area as we wanted - but it sounds like they would have more trouble than the sliders getting out of the new pond. It is a 300 gallon basin, with sides that go straight down - the sliders will be able to climb out via some wooden planks (going to build a "turtle dock", some floating in the water and a bridge going out) but it doesn't sound like they would be too good at swimming around to find the bridge...

I guess it would be best to just stick with the sliders - maybe in a few years I will have free baby sliders on here lol. Four turtles, a dog, a bird, and who knows how many fish are plenty of pets to feed anyway.

Congrats on your babies, though, they really are adorable!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Box turtle habitat

Box turtles need rotted-out stump holes left by big old trees where they can get 2+ ft underground to hibernate. So mostly they live in or near OLD forests with plenty of rotting logs. They will go into scrubby fields and peoples yards to eat berries and bugs and soak up the sun, but they cant live there long-term if there's not a good hibernating hole. Thats why old farmland that has been reforested, and "managed" forests where trees are harvested and never die/decay on-site, are not great habitat for box turtles -- no big, deep stump holes.

There are websites with advice for enhancing Herp Habitat on your property. You could probably create hibernating holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
I know the colony that lives around my property are under the fallen leaves and debris in and around the woods. I have exposed some when renovating a naturalized plant bed near the woods under a huge oak, maple and a little pine.

Other than when one came out to lay eggs at my foundation or showed up in the middle of the yard in the hot sun obviously ill, I rarely see them even hanging out in the shade.

Last edited by gerald; 12-21-2011 at 12:54 PM.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Goonch Catfish

Lol, no wonder there are always plenty of wild turtles at the farm - lots of fallen/rotten trees in the woods back there - my dog twists her leg all the time running around and falling into holes in the leaf and pine straw mounds!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM

That's one of the best-looking females I've seen. Definately a keeper!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Arrow Worm

ADORABLE! Are you selling babies when they are bigger?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Springtime for Turtles

My box turtles are up and about, doing their favorite spring activities! Did not find any new hatchlings in the turtle pen last summer/fall. Hopefully better luck this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Box.Teensy+Ebony.apr2016.06019.jpg (171.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Box.MsBox.apr2016.06020.sm.JPG (298.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Box.MsBox+Chompy.apr2016.06021.sm.JPG (398.3 KB, 6 views)
PuffyLuv, reeffreak and LC like this.

Last edited by gerald; 04-16-2016 at 03:40 PM.