4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jake
  • 1 Post By gerald
  • 1 Post By Jake

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Arrow Worm

Pajama cardinals breeding!!!!

So over the last three weeks the strangest thing has happened. I noticed my largest male pajama cardinal was holding eggs in his mouth! That's not all it gets stranger. A few days later I moved one of my maintenance accounts tanks and took her cardinals home with me. A few days later one of the males has eggs In its mouth! That's still not all. A few days later I went to another maintenance account to service the tank and their male cardinal is holding eggs in its mouth. But wait there's more! I decided to look at the cardinals in my frag tank at home as well and sure enough the male cardinal has eggs in his mouth!!!! What are the odds I that? Has anybody had any experience with pajama cardinals breeding as well as raising the fry? Here is a picture of the egg cluster from the male in my frag tank. ImageUploadedByPG Free1405520491.554465.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
xctorrez and velvetelvis like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Wow! I'm guessing its a seasonal or lunar-cycle thing, unless it's your after-shave cologne turning them on. Hope you succeed in raising some. I suspect you'll do better if you just try to keep a couple dozen in a 10 or 20 gal. If you have too many you'll never get enough food to them without polluting the tank. In nature they would scatter far and wide, not staying close together. They look much smaller than banggai cardinal fry. I'm sure the clownfish people here will chime in with advice (and food cultures).
Joy likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Silverside

Well you still have to name them all....

Mean Scallop *grr*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Arrow Worm

Haha I try to "set the mood" for all fish when I clean the tanks. It must be the way I clean the glass.
I'm thinking about doing a small feed to an 8 gallon acrylic tank I have from my frag tank to put them and have it slowly fall back into the frag tank in the refugium. See how this works and go from there. It's the food I'm not to certain about which to use or how often. Etc. all in all it's pretty flippin cool to see in person. I was going to try to take some better pics in the mouth of the fish but that's not an easy task

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald View Post
Wow! I'm guessing its a seasonal or lunar-cycle thing, unless it's your after-shave cologne turning them on. Hope you succeed in raising some. I suspect you'll do better if you just try to keep a couple dozen in a 10 or 20 gal. If you have too many you'll never get enough food to them without polluting the tank. In nature they would scatter far and wide, not staying close together. They look much smaller than banggai cardinal fry. I'm sure the clownfish people here will chime in with advice (and food cultures).

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Arrow Worm

Pajama cardinals breeding!!!!

I named them all Spot......
I didn't want them to argue about who has the better name
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicpenny75 View Post
Well you still have to name them all....

bryanr likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Mosquitofish

Thanks for sharing the awesome pic. That is so cool. Good luck!