Commercial Vendor - Page 2 - Carolina Fish Talk
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

Well, several pms later...nothing has been resolved. I had some verbal confirmation that they were willing to give the mods some power here to clean up the sponsors and clubs sections (only two sponsors are still in business, and the only one (me) who has posted regularly (or pretty much at all) in the last 4 years isn't on there.

However, in the last message...they took it back. This is what I called you about yesterday, Ocean...but it is now a moot point. I was fighting for Gerald, Treedog, and you to be given power to clean up the forum, and I was going to commit to driving traffic here....which is something I haven't done for many years....for obvious reasons...this place is embarrassing with its many dead clubs and businesses listed.

Eh...anyway...Ocean, tell me when your forum is up. This is hopeless. :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Eurypterid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffyLuv View Post
Well, several pms later...nothing has been resolved. I had some verbal confirmation that they were willing to give the mods some power here to clean up the sponsors and clubs sections (only two sponsors are still in business, and the only one (me) who has posted regularly (or pretty much at all) in the last 4 years isn't on there.

However, in the last message...they took it back. This is what I called you about yesterday, Ocean...but it is now a moot point. I was fighting for Gerald, Treedog, and you to be given power to clean up the forum, and I was going to commit to driving traffic here....which is something I haven't done for many years....for obvious reasons...this place is embarrassing with its many dead clubs and businesses listed.

Eh...anyway...Ocean, tell me when your forum is up. This is hopeless. :(

-Grace, you have spoken volumes in this statement without even realizing it, or perhaps holding back, which is not always a bad thing. I understand why there was not a follow-up phone call because I'm sure many are frustrated over the situation and the status of the forum.

-Years back when most of the mods abruptly left it was for good reason, at which point I was asked by Moe at vertical scope to be the first super mod CFT had. I also recall telling fellow members not to worry that the sky was not falling and we would get some stuff done, unfortunately I was not given true privileges to handle things and had to wing it and find different ways around my limitations to take care of business wich frustrated me as well as members, vendors and previous mods because the sky, in fact, was starting to fall prior to me coming aboard and the previous mods knew this as I would soon learn as well.

-The fact is original owners (web entrepreneurs) sell their businesses' for several reasons such as owners who were once passionate about their site's subject matter lost interest. They wanted to ensure that their website is in the capable hands of an enthusiast-run business that can keep their community thriving, but that does not always happen no matter the intent of the owner selling.

-The company owns umteen sites for the purpose of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Internet marketing, and traffic acquisition to build highly targeted, successful online communities and websites, and they are proficient at it. The only problem with this way of thinking/doing business is it can be hit or miss depending on what site subject matter is about. The revenues do not come from vendors such as you or others, but from all the Ads sold. This is their business plain and simple which is in no way a slam...it's just their business and business is business, albeit it hinders a site for our community any good as they do not have people trained in our hobby which is a valid reason to allow more mod privileges other than a 'quick ban', putting topics in the correct category and the basics...the company does not have to allow access to sponsor pages nor financial areas for obvious reasons, but I do not see this taking place. I respect all past and present mods even though some did/do not feel the same toward the work I did here back several years ago. I greatly respect the die hard core members who hang in there and enjoy seeing new members here with our shared passion.

-If the company were by some chance to give the present mods authority to do more, the forum would start to see a change to a semi-close community again, but it would take many months. I however would have to decline a personal invitation to come back in a position and listen to my inner voice urging caution, as I would have to leave to start a forum like the other old one (it will take months to get it dialed in and running) which will be a good place to gather and enjoy fellowship hopefully drawing back some of the old timers who have left here and new members.

-Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy CFT as it was my original go to forum and I'm still fond of it, just not some of the aspects of it now.
reeffreak likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

They could have fixed it. They claimed to be "all ears" here in the first one - as you can see, by the second they had changed their tune. This IS about their eventual plan to have vendors they charge for - and actually I was waiting on this final of what their rates they planned for this forum would be before I finally urged (begged?) you and the others to clean this place up for them, and I would drive traffic and vendors here. Basically offering them a free ride, all they had to do was give you guys power to make this place not embarrassing by having so many old businesses and clubs that aren't around anymore listed.

You know how you get traffic to this forum, or any aquatic forum? 2 ways. You have the LFS tell their customers is a great place to go to have their questions answered, and see great things for sale by both hobbyists and LFS. To learn, and yes, to enjoy a little wish list type stuff! I call this forum "the saltwater craigslist" to my customers...because, well, it's true. Imagine if I could say something else?

Oh well. Let me know when you get going, Ocean...and ABSOLUTELY lmk if you need me to involve Brian...he writes programs and so on...I am sure whatever techie stuff is in your way he could straighten out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

I also find it totally hilarious that they asked me if I had a rep for the four years they ignored me...

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

I spent a lot of time detailing to them in response what was wrong with the site and how it could be fixed...and as you can see...they have sent me to go write it all again in another section. Hmmm. Nope.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Eurypterid

Wowser...

That is one of the reasons I said I would decline if asked...they do not need more mods. They actually need some on site Admin to deal with topics about this forum unknown to them...not their part of Admin. What is happening is a real blow to members here sadly.

I promise that I will let anyone interested in the new site for the people know when it is ready.

Addition: BTW, I admire/respect you trying to help them understand the Delima(s).
PuffyLuv likes this.

Last edited by oceandude; 06-28-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: forgot a word
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Silverside

Thanks for trying to help and improve the site Puffy, I agree with you 100%. And OD is dead on with the comments he made, it's just sad to watch the site spiral down the way that it has especially with new ppl joining constantly and looking for a local forum to call home. My hands are tied as you well know, I will continue to do what I can but I know it's a losing battle....
PuffyLuv and oceandude like this.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Phytoplankton

Wow. I see a lot has happened in the last year...
Following, in the interest of "an old member" who is now a new member again because of the idiotic federal top secret security level password requirements the new owners made X years ago. XP
PuffyLuv likes this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

I think they finally declined when they realized I was suggesting (well, ok, demanding, I was pretty rough) they give mods admin-type powers. Really all they needed to do was give you guys the power to ad and delete sections, and even better icing on that cake would be the power to change account type. Not so much in my mind...but I guess it is. :/

Treedog, I wondered about new people joining...does it still happen? They clearly don't stay or post...but they join? That's good news if so...I figured it had to be, it was why I was willing to put work in...because Reef Central isn't dead yet. Clearly there is still a want/need for a forum, then!

Hi, Magicpenny. You came back just in time to see it die the rest of the way. :( A lot of us are on FB now, come hang out! Search Grace Romano is my biz profile, I will add you to some local groups. Fintastic does a sale pretty much every weekend, not that you would know that by hanging out here, smh...

I will always want to help reefers find the place they can connect, and get relevant reefing news. If this comes along with a great freshwater following, like I know Gerald could bring - even better. I didn't think three mods on this forum was too much...but really I suggested you, Ocean, because it is better if we all work on one, than we try to make two. Plus, less work for me when advertising, lol. I figured with 3 mods, me sending the newbs and bringing the commercial posters come ReefSMART and Reef Farmers Market time...and with the mods having the power to change things for the better, like clean up those sections...well, LET them charge if it is worth it again. I didn't mind paying when it was.

oceandude likes this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Silverside

Wow...sorry Grace, but not surprised. You are 10000% correct the way to revive this forum to it's former glory is the local fish store support...but if they can't even get your vendor status fixed after 4 years (shakes head) what new store is going to come on.
PuffyLuv and oceandude like this.