The myth and the truth
The myth: Is that once ICK is introduced into a tank its there forever. This is false to some extent. If your willing to put in the time ICK can be eradicated from a system. to include a full reef system
The truth : ICK has 4 major life cycles with 5 different forms.
1) Trophont This Is the feeding stage the dreaded white dots.
2) Protomont This is the Drop off stage between 3-9 days of feeding. the Parasite will drop off the host of fal to the substrate.
3) Tomont This is the reproduction stage. to which it will bed itself down in the substrate. this cycle is is between 3-72 days.
4) Tomite This is the name of the cell or child parasites reproducing.
5) Theront This Is the infections stage with no host it will die within 48 hours.
One of the best ways to kill this parasite it with the standard ole Patience. A tried and true method involving a lot of work and a lot of patience. along with a good quarantine tank.
1) You will need to remove all fish ( the pain part of the process ) however for a chemical free way to remove this in the display tank this is the best way.
2) Quarantine tank. this needs to be big enough to house all you fish for at least 75-80 days ( this also when you can medicate the fish only. there are many different options for a chemical here. Metro and copper are just a few.
Here at Port City We Have a true quarantine system. To allow fish to acclimate and be medicated if the need arrises.
However: we do suggest setting up a small Quarantine system at your residence if at all possible. We will be going to great lengths to provide the best fish in the area. But no one is perfect.
Keep Checking back as we will be doing more PSA in the future. With not only parasites, fungus, and bacteria methods but just all around general knowledge.
And we look forward to your feed back.
4716 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, N.C. 28412