• 1 Post By DBreefs
  • 2 Post By dcp17420
  • 1 Post By DBreefs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

Ronald McDonald House Help

Hello All,

I am a member of the Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte (RASOC). We have taken on the maintenance and up keep of a 150 gallon reef tank at the Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte (RMHC). The tank is 72 X 18 X 30 and is in desperate need of some upgrades. The tank currently has DIY leds that seem to loose a new diode every time they’re moved. The Sump is a standard 20 gallon tank with no baffles, which simply houses the return pump, there is no skimmer, but we would like to keep it that way and just add a refugium for nutrient export. With that said the local reefing community has stepped up and donated several necessary items including a new RODI, ATO kit, Refractometers, a new Canopy, and substantial monetary donations. However we are still coming up short.

The tank is situated as one of the first things you see when you walk into the facility, and even in its current condition brings smiles to countless faces on a daily basis, but we know it could be so much more. Our goal is to create a beautiful calming space for families undergoing some of the most turbulent times of their lives. We would like to keep it a low demand reef by filling it with brightly colored soft corals and bright, active, community fish, but before we can do that we need to get the equipment up to par.

For those of you who may not know. Ronald McDonald House Charities provide a home away from home for families whose children are facing a serious injury or illness. They provide home cooked meals, private rooms, play rooms for kids, and support for families while trying to reduce the amount of stress that the families are undergoing. More importantly they provide access to better hospitals by providing a place for families to stay that are in close proximity to some of the best hospitals in the world. My family received help from RMHC in Greenville NC and the staff, facilities, and support were a major help in our time of need, I am a big fan and believer of what they do.

So… now that you have heard my pitch… a gofundme has been created to help fund the needed upgrades to the tank. We need lights, sump, sand, & livestock. I have seen this community come together in amazing ways more times than I can count. I have seen the members of this site go above and beyond help children, communities, and families in need. I ask that we come together again to help the families that use the Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte. Help us get this tank in the condition it should be in.

If any vendors, or sponsors would like to donate any equipment, salt, food, or anything else we could use that would be amazing. Please help us turn this tank around!

Thank you in advance and God bless!

Gofundme Link:

https://www.gofundme.com/rmdhouse-ch...uarium-upgrade

I guess I should state that all donations will go directly into improving the aquarium and RMHC.

please feel free to share this link!!
dcp17420, nova65ss and DBreefs like this.

Last edited by GnarleyMarley; 03-10-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

This is awesome of you guys to do! RMHC is one of the best charities there are, and they do amazing work for families going through very difficult time. Kudos to RASOC! We will keep this bumped up over here.
GnarleyMarley likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Mosquitofish

RMDH of Greenville NC helped me and family while my daughter was in the NICU for almost 2 weeks . Great charity to support !
GnarleyMarley and DBreefs like this.

Click for Wilson, North Carolina Forecast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp17420 View Post
RMDH of Greenville NC helped me and family while my daughter was in the NICU for almost 2 weeks . Great charity to support !
Awesome! Definitely a fantastic organization! For anyone thinking about donating I am sure any size donation will help RASOC make sure they have a spectacular tank!
GnarleyMarley likes this.