Ebay MH bulbs cheap, anyone bought these before? - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

Ebay MH bulbs cheap, anyone bought these before?

I found a very cheap source of MH bulbs on Ebay. I just bought one to check it out, hard to go wrong for the price. I got a 400 watt 20000k for $20.50 USD delivered. I'll keep everyone posted on my observations once I get it. Hey if nothing else it would be good to have a backup sitting around in case mine dies suddenly. He also sells 175 and 200 watt, he has all three wattages in 10000k, 14000k, and 2000k. He has SE and HQI DE types. He sells MH ballasts as well and PH meters althugh the ph meters do not come with calibration fluids and the adapters seem to be 220v.

Here is a link to one of the auctions
http://cgi.ebay.com/400-W-Watt-20000...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone out there with a lux meter or spectrometer? We could do some basic measurement for comparison. Bulbs are small so I could come to you with both of mine or you could come out here to Hillsborough if you are close.

incindentally, he also sells refractometers fairly cheap, they look to be the same ones that Drs Foster&Smith are selling, that or they are very good knockoffs. The look to be of Chinese origin so they are most likely a knock off of some other device but the Drs could also be selling a knock off. Who knows?...anyway If someone gets one of them it might be good to compare this one to others that someone has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Harmless Detrivore
Silverside

Let us know your results. Since MH bulbs usually only need replacement yearly, I'd probably skip ebay and just buy one locally.

Down Under sells a 'house' brand of bulbs. I've only tried the 14K 150W DE HQI and so far I like it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

Bulb arrived today. Shipped from Hong Kong. The brand is "Aquarmckzo"

This is a 20000k bulb and it will be replacing the Hamilton 14000k bulb that I have been using. I have also been supplementing with 2 URI VHO actinics run by an icecap660 but I switched to the 20000k and removed the Actinics, I hope to use the entie VHO (4 bulbs) lighting system on the propagation system that I am building.

initial observations about the bulb: The construction is very similar to the Hamilton. Seems to have all of the same components in all of the same places, generally. The main electrode attachment bus is slightly different but everything else looks identical. Even the resistor used inside the tube looks to be the same one. The arc chamber is slightly smaller (<1/8")in the Chinese bulb than in the Hamilton. The Chinese bulb is about 1/4" Shorter and is the same diameter as the Hamilton. Although the Chinese bulb is shorter, the arc chamber is located farther from the socket base than in the Hamilton bulb, perhaps 1/2 inch farther. My mounting was already offset a little to that one side, now I feel the need to relocate the bulb to center it over the system. It is now the sole light source over my 36" long 58 gallon tank. One side does look brighter than the other.

My Hamilton bulb went through a color shift as it warmed up, the light emitted during the first 2 or 3 minutes was very very blue and it sort of whitened up as it warmed up and settled into its normal 14000k coloration. The Chinese 20000k takes longer to get warmed up and settle into it's color. This oculd be that it is a new bulb vs the Hamilton being a little over a year old. During the first few minutes of the Chinese bulb warm up it is very very yellow and gradually blues up as it warms up. After settling the flourescent colors do "pop" much more than they did under just the 14000k Hamilton, but that is to be expected based on the color temp of the bulb. I guess what I am saying is that it seems to do what it is supposed to do. What I do like is that he tank doesn't seem to have as much of a blue cast washing everything out as I expected with this switch. It looks very much like the 14000k did but with more "pop"

At this point it has been running for about 30 minutes since the bulb seemed to complete it's warm up. Polyp Extension seems the same as it did with the 14000k Hamilton with two exceptions. The Xenia elongata, which is still pumping, seems to be opened a bit less. Usually between pulses the polyps open up all the way like an open hand, at the moment they are looking sort of like a claw between pulses. Not closed by any means, but less open than before. My GSPs are a little slow to open as well. Other things in the tank are Shrooms, Ricordea, 5 different zoanthids and palythoas, Gree tree coral, Bali Green Slimer Acropora, Orange Montipora digitata, 2 different Frogspwans, a Hammer coral, and a red encrusting Goniopora.

Packaging was good,inside the typical bulb box, then wrapped in bubble wrap and placed inside of some sort of rubber box type thing. It looks like one of those tupperware/rubbermaid savers for a stick of butter except it is about a foot long by 3"x3".

At the moment, the bulb looks good.

I'll post some pics when i can find my camera...

I wish I had a lux meter or some other instrument to actually take some real measurements, but at the moment I have to rely on my own beady little eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Harmless Detrivore
Silverside

Don't new bulbs take a couple of weeks to get to a stable color temp?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

yeah...I'm sure it's not at it's settled color right now. I just wanted to record my initial observations as I was making them. I'll keep this thread updated.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Phytoplankton

I know some fellow reefers that bought the $9 MH bulbs off of ebay and have been happy with them so far. Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

It looks nice. I am still happy with it. Very white, I thought at 20000k it would be bluer. It's still bluer than the 14000k, just not as blue as I thought it might be which is good, I was kind of worried it would be too blue.

At this point I can say I would recommend them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Noctiluca

I got some chinese 20000 bulbs from DU and they were not as blue as I thought they would be. Good thing I have 2 110 watt actnic bulbs!!!!

I believe with MH bulbs, its is better to spend more at the onsight than to buy cheaper bulbs and not be happy. Also check out the study that was done on MH bulbs. You might be happily surprised about the lifespan of these bulbs!!!!!!

Thanks for listening

Mike

I'm the ghost of tanks past.