Blackworms, Monthly Orders - Carolina Fish Talk
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Blackworms, Monthly Orders

I'm getting Live Blackworm Group Orders about once a month, so let me know if you want some. Cost is $25/ pound or $13/ half-pound or $7/quarter-pound. You can pick them up at my office in east Raleigh (1221 Corporation Pkwy, just off New Bern Ave, I-440 exit 13B) OR at my house in Wake Forest (104 East Chestnut Ave).

Blackworms are an excellent food for most freshwater and saltwater carnivorous and omnivorous fish and inverts. They are especially good for recovering stressed wild-caught fish, including marine butterflies and other finicky eaters, and for conditioning fish for breeding. Excess uneaten blackworms in freshwater will live in the gravel like earthworms, scavenging fish food and providing a constant live food source for bottom-feeders.

Blackworms keep well for several weeks to months refrigerated in a plastic shoebox with just enough water to cover them. Keep a jar of chilled water in the fridge with them for changing water every 1 -2 days. New worm shipments may need rinsing twice a day for the first few days. A typical plastic shoebox is good for up to 1/2 pound of worms. In cool weather you can keep them outside in a cooler with aeration.

A Few Warnings About Live Blackworms:

1. Feed blackworms (and all other worms) sparingly to herbivores such as algae-scraping cichlids, as too much meat can lead to kidney damage and bloating.

2. Only feed active healthy worms to your fish. The worms should be dark reddish-brown in color and wiggly. Rinse and change their water often to keep the worms healthy. Discard any worms that get gray and sickly looking, as dead or dying worms may contain elevated levels of bacteria.

3. Keep the worms COLD when transporting them, and spread out in a thin layer. Lay the bag on its side, rather than upright, so worms are not piled more than one inch deep. Blackworms do fine in warm aerated water, spread out in a thin layer, but DO NOT let them get warm while in the shipping bag!

4. Some fish get so excited over blackworms that they slurp and swallow too many whole worms too fast without chewing. A few times I have seen small freshwater fish die within an hour after over-gorging on whole blackworms. My guess is that too many whole worms thrashing around in the fish's stomach can damage organs before the stomach acids can kill them. So for fish smaller than 2" that tend to slurp and swallow whole worms fast, I usually chop the worms on a cutting board, or drop in just a few at a time. Chopped worm pieces will live for several days in the aquarium, and larger pieces will regenerate into new worms. I have only seen sudden death from over-eating happen in freshwater fish; it might not be an issue at all in saltwater where the worms die quicker.

>>> For Freeze-Dried or Flash-Frozen blackworms shipped directly to you, contact CA Aquatic Foods ([email protected]).
Freeze-Dried Blackworms: 60 grams (2.1 oz) = $37., 120 grams (4.2 oz) = $58. Specify cubes or sheet (3/4" thick).
Flash-Frozen Blackworms: 10 lbs in 1-lb flat bags = $120. + shipping. (2012 Prices; they may have changed!)

Last edited by gerald; 05-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Next Live Blackworm Order will arrive WED MAY 18 at my office in east Raleigh. Let me know by 5 pm Monday (May 16) if you want any. Cost is $25./pound or $13./half-pound or $7./quarter-pound. These will be from Eastern Aquatics in PA. You can pick them up at:

1) Wed-Fri at my office (1221 Corporation Pkwy, off New Bern Ave @ I-440 exit 13B), or
2) at my house in Wake Forest (104 East Chestnut Ave) evening or weekend.

Please bring a cooler with ice to transport them and have pre-chilled water ready to rinse them when you get home. If you want to receive Blackworm Group Order announcements at a different email, or to be removed from this list, let me know.

PM me your name, email and phone number if you haven't previously participated in our monthly blackworm group orders.