• 1 Post By treedog5
  • 1 Post By oceandude
  • 1 Post By oceandude
  • 2 Post By creab

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

Skimmer for IM aio tanks??

Been talking to a friend about setting up an aio and he has helped me walk through some of the things I was thinking about!
So I am Contemplating getting a 25 lagoon or JBJ aio or similar product. Seems the skimmer selections are not too impressive. Never had an aio so not sure what the best route to take is. I have heard no so great reviews on the ghost skimmer and seems the desktop one that fits the 25 lagoon is at its max capacity on this size tank. Curious what's other are using or their experience with the ghost desktop. The whole purpose of the aio is so I won't have to have a sump or hob equipment. Would really prefer the tunze 9004 but it won't fit and the 9001 will apparently fit in the return chamber turned sideways but then I would have to get two pumps instead of one to make the clearance, not that that is not a bad idea as I will be replacing the stock pump with a sicci anyway but still to be sure there are other options out that or do I have delusions of grandeur.... maybe with the jbj there is more room in the back chambers....I will have to look into that.
OR just pick up a deep blue 45 frag tank or 40 breeder and put a tunze 9004 inside the tank....just hate to have hob filter though as I would want something to house carbon, marine pure etc...
I could always set my 60 cube rimless back up salt but I am really enjoying the ease of freshwater at the moment.

~Cammie

"Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Silverside

I recently setup my fusion 20 gallon tank and just went through exactly what you are planning to do. I have the ghost desktop skimmer and to honest I'm 50/50 on it, only because it continues to put micro bubbles into my display after 2 months of use. My solution to this problem is that i put the skimmer on a timer so that it only comes on at night once my lights go out, then I never see the bubbles. The skimmer actually skims really well but the bubbles are the issue. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tunze 9001 also but I had already upgraded my return pump to a Jebao DC 2000 and I wasn't about to replace it with two smaller pumps just to make room for the 9001. From everything I read the the Tunze is the best skimmer for these tanks though. I also had looked into the JBJ tanks but came across a sweet deal on the complete setup of the Fusion tank so I went with that. If I'm not mistaken the 45 gallon JBJ will hold the 9004.
reeffreak likes this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

I saw where someone used a piece of filter floss beside the output of the skimmer and that took care of the micro bubbles. Hmmm, still not sure. Also the place I have to put it is not ideal. It is right in front of a window that doesn't get direct sunlight but I still worry that indirect sunlight will cause issues. The back will e painted but the tank is short and the window is very tall.

~Cammie

"Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Eurypterid

Not to 'build up' the Tunze 9004, but I never had micro bubbles from it. It is the first Tunze skimmer I've owned that had so much going for it though. I use the following Tunze in my new build and it is so strange not having to set anything, nor tweak it...it is as close to the automatic sensor as one could imagine...but it is meant for a bigger tank than I use it for.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Ma...FIPSIS-vi.html

I'm seriously considering selling it and using a Tunze 9004 in the Trigger Emerald Sump/fuge instead.
creab likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandude View Post
Not to 'build up' the Tunze 9004, but I never had micro bubbles from it. It is the first Tunze skimmer I've owned that had so much going for it though. I use the following Tunze in my new build and it is so strange not having to set anything, nor tweak it...it is as close to the automatic sensor as one could imagine...but it is meant for a bigger tank than I use it for.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Ma...FIPSIS-vi.html

I'm seriously considering selling it and using a Tunze 9004 in the Trigger Emerald Sump/fuge instead.
Ever used the 9001? Curious if the same results would be had with the smaller version...
Thanks for chatting with me so much about this obsession...lol. Your a good friend!

~Cammie

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Eurypterid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeffreak View Post
Ever used the 9001? Curious if the same results would be had with the smaller version...
Thanks for chatting with me so much about this obsession...lol. Your a good friend!
They were okay, but not even close to the results from the improved 9004's.
reeffreak likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Noctiluca

I use the 9004 and get great results

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
reeffreak and oceandude like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Eurypterid

Quote:
Originally Posted by creab View Post
I use the 9004 and get great results

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
@creab What tank are you using it on?

~Cammie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:22 AM
Noctiluca

IM 25g Lagoon