Kurkis493 - 120g SPS system - Carolina Fish Talk
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Silverside

Kurkis493 - 120g SPS system

Had my old tank on here... Switched over to a 120 with a move in May 2014.

The tank has had some ups and downs. Here is the tank as of July 31, 2015.

I constantly take pics of my tank on my phone but always delete them. Going to use this as a platform to post progression shots. I get alot of sun in the room so the right side is getting hit pretty hard right now with sunlight.

Last edited by Kurkis; 07-31-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Silverside

This tank is run on a Zeovit system with a starboard bottom (no sand) and uses 2 MP40s, 1 MP10 and an Eheim 1262 return for water movement. With the system being ULNS my biggest challenge is maintaining colors in the system. At the time of this post it has been a few days since I have throttled back my nutrient removal by 50%. I plan to monitor things for the next 3 weeks while nutrients are able to build up a bit in the system to see how that changes the overall color in the tank. I am hoping during this period I will get richer color and in some cases the pale corals I have will start to gain color back.

Lightning source is an 8 bulb ATI fixture using the following combination front to back:

Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus

As for par measurements in the tank, the top right pillar is receiving around 650 par while the corals in the bottom center of the tank are receiving just over 300 par.

Current fish in the system:

Black Tang
Achilles Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Borbonius Anthias
2 of Donnie's Premium Picasso Clowns
Midas Blenny
Four-line Wrasse
Orchid Dottybak
2 Neon Gobies

As for corals in the system I keep mainly SPS. For non-SPS corals I do keep a couple different blastos, an aussie gold torch, frogspawn ,a duncan, some aussie acans and a trachy. I only have ked's reds for zoas. I try my best to have corals growing on all sides of the rocks so when you look at the tank from different angles there is also something different to see. Some of my largest colonies are actually growing on the back side of the rocks and cannot be seen in the above image.

Last edited by Kurkis; 07-31-2015 at 03:35 PM.
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Phytoplankton

Looking amazing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Bowfin

Just saw this tank in person a few days ago beyond incredible!
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:15 PM
Silverside

wow, I remember when this was rocks with a couple of little frags. That is some incredible growth.
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Silverside

^ Ha! Yes growth has been doing good as of late. It is true what they say, after the first year or so the tank starts to really take off.

At the moment I am dosing 2-part at 60ml of Alk and 72ml of Ca daily. In addition, I also run kalk through the reactor I had which is fed by my ATO.

More importantly - You liked my desk! Since you were here last I actually put some fans up, painted a wall and added shelving so it actually looks like an office in here!
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:49 PM
Silverside

Yes Megadesk - I loved it. I used some solidcore doors to build a temporary homage to it until we move house.

PM me next time you have frags for sale. I'd love to come over get some of that stunning coral.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Arrow Worm

What do u do about detritus getting under the board did u silicon it in ?
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Silverside

This branching monti is my oldest piece since getting back in the hobby a few years ago. It was a wild caught colony I obtained in May 2013. It now covers the entire back of my left pillar and I've traded a couple good chunks of it away over the years as well. Very fast grower for me.

This is a shot through the left side of the glass to show things a little more. You'll see some stuff looking good and some stuff paled out. This is where I am hoping that by reducing the nutrient export it will help get color back into those pieces. They are growing and have great PE but lacking the desired color.

Last edited by Kurkis; 07-31-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Silverside

Its 1/2 starboard siliconed to the bottom of the tank and around the edges. Overtime some of the silicone gave way and I would suspect that some detritus may have found its way through.

My MP10 runs across the bottom back of the tank in an attempt to make sure nothing gets to settle and I've debated changing that out to a MP40 but I think it could be too much flow.

I do not have much build-up under the actual rocks themselves and most of the detritus will end up in one spot under my large green digitata colony. I will siphon this out into the filter sock 1-2x a day as I am passing by the tank.

A turkey baster is used a couple of times a week but there is never much detritus build-up within the rocks.

Blasting the rocks and dosing the tank with any nutrients happens between 10:30 and midnight everyday. My skimmer does not run between 11pm and 2am so the corals can eat.

I am somebody who really, really hates having sand in an aquarium. Having a sand bed does make the tank look better but with as much detritus as I siphon out despite being bare bottom and having a dedicated powerhead just for the purpose of keeping stuff off the starboard, I can only imagine how much crap would have built-up over this past year had I went with sand.

Last edited by Kurkis; 07-31-2015 at 04:56 PM.