Jack's 20g Redesign - Carolina Fish Talk
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

Cool Jack's 20g Redesign

So - I have been promising pics for a while and have not delivered. These are just tank shots, but I will post some pictures of the sump so you can see that too! The tank is still in complete disarray from the move (just tossed everything in there) and the fish have been extra nasty recently so I haven't been sticking my hands in to do what I want. Once I get back from vacation I will be placing another big order from Unique Corals, Cherry Corals, or Marine Depot Live for a few more things (mostly LPS - maybe another acro or 2).

Well - without further ado (these are night shots so most stuff is closed up):

FTS:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Center:

Right-Panel:

Finally - my Orange Crush is starting to look more like a real orange crush. 2 weeks under the LEDs and it changed colors. Also, another all blue/gray Acan Echinata I had is starting to look like it is also an Orange Crush! Just started turning part green and getting some orange streaks. Just goes to show what real lighting can do for a tank...

These pictures were ALL taken at night under 10k light. I didn't have time to set the white balance for 20k, but I should have some more time to do that and actually show off the lights a little this coming week before vacation. If there is anything in particular you really want to see - let me know and I'll do some macro shots of it!
oceandude likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Silverside

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Arrow Worm

Really like it! I'm currently (even while I'm trying to get my 58 back on track) setting up a 27 gallon cube. Can't afford a fancy LED yet; going with Marineland for the moment. But I'll use this for inspiration.

75 gallon mixed reef
27 gallon home office reef
Nuvo Fusion 10 nano reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

I couldn't be happier with the hardscape. I have SO much more room in the sand and a bunch of flat spaces for coral. There are very few vertical walls - except the wall on the left which I have the perfect coral for. My ORA Frogskin acro is hooked, so I am going to mount it coming straight out of the wall and curving upward.

I am using about 8 lbs less LR than I started with and everything is pushed up against the back glass. The problem with my last scape is that it was sort of a "ridge" that sloped down in the back and took up 1/2 my tank. I literally doubled the visible space in my tank. 50% more space is a huge benefit when you only have 20g to work with in the first place.

I'll put up some day time pictures when everything is opened up and out - the night was the only time I had to take pic though. Also - the sump setup should be helpful to anyone who wants a really effective sump setup for a TINY area. It is packed in there like a puzzle.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Arrow Worm

Yeah, I'd like to see a pic of the sump. Contemplating one for the cube with a CPR overflow like you have. I'd probably have to use another cube of some sort for the sump, though, as I don't quite have 20" across the bottom of the stand.

75 gallon mixed reef
27 gallon home office reef
Nuvo Fusion 10 nano reef
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Eurypterid

Thumbs up

Most excellent! Thanks for the awesome pics and descriptions.
GnarleyMarley likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Mosquitofish

Would you like to compete in our tank of the month, go and enter in the tank of the month section
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Silverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardison33 View Post
Would you like to compete in our tank of the month, go and enter in the tank of the month section
+1 to this
Great looking tank !

Join Us! www.NCMAS.org

I'm not an addict, I just need ONE more tank !!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

I don't feel I'm ready for tank of the month. The corals are a mess from being scattered about after the move and still settling in after being stuck in a styrafoam cooler for 12 hours. They are also acclimating to the LEDs which are still only at 25% 14k and 30% 20k.

Don't worry - next month I'll jump in the small tank of the month I'll have quite a few more corals, things will be more settled, and will be a lot less worried because all my new corals will be happily encrusted!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Mosquitofish

Alright here is a picture of my 10g sump. I snapped it this morning on my phone. This is how it is set up:

Left side:
- Drain is pushed as far against the left wall as physically possible. Still have to plumb in my filter socks
- Skimmer is pushed against the drain
- Heater is in front of skimmer and drain
- Salinity and pH probe are right next to heater (they temperature correct automatically)
- There is a piece of eggcrate boxing in the skimmer/drain

Middle:
- Chaeto ball toward the back sandwiched between eggcrate and the baffles
- My DIY Upflow GAC reactor sits in front of the Chaeto - runs off the otuflow from the GFO

Right Side: (holds about 1.5g)
- Return pump is in the back of the left chamber
- Feeder pump for my GFO reactor is here
- ATO is on the front wall.

Left Wall:
- Bubble Magus doser that currently doses Alk, Ca, and very very diluted Kalk - no need for Mg since it stays at 1350-1380 between WC. The tubes don't have a holder so I thread them through the eggcrate
- 2x toms lifter pumps - 1 plumbed to the ATO reservoir and the other plumbed to my HOB overflow to ensure any siphon break is immediately restarted.

Right Wall:
- BRS Deluxe GFO Reactor - feeds into the carbon reactor to catch any fines and save on a pump for heat.

Ceiling:
- Cheap metal reflector with a 23w CFL Spotlight (I don't need the reflector - but it protects the bulb) for the chaeto and so I can see.

Doors:
- I mounted my temperature output, pH output, Salinity Output, and the MP10 box on the left door. On the right door I have the conversion for my pinpoint salinity to SG and PPT.

Yes - my stand is super ghetto and my sump has a HUGE crack on the front that goes from the corner to almost 1/3 of the way across the tank. I did it after I glued the baffles and didn't want to redo it. It used to have a middle wall in it that gave it enough strength to hold a 16g tank (not meant to hold a 20g). It is all MDF and I built a sub-frame out of 1x2" pine to beef it up so it could hold a 20g tank on top and a 10g tank down bottom.

Oh, and here is a sweet picture I took last night while rollerblading with the dog in my new apartment complex's park on my cell phone. Just goes to show - doesn't matter what camera equipment you have to take the picture with - it is all about location, lighting, and getting the timing right.

leeman72 likes this.

Last edited by jservedio; 05-31-2013 at 10:31 AM.