Red Sea Reefer - Carolina Fish Talk
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ellenbstein
  • 1 Post By rbadger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Red Sea Reefer

I have been running a Solana 34 for the past 3-4 years and am mulling over moving up to a Red Sea Reefer 350 or 450. I’ve not had any luck finding a store that has a display model set up and am cautious about dropping a couple of grand sight unseen. Does anyone here have one and, if so, what are your thoughts pro and con? The biggest complaints I have come across so far seems to be a lack of a fuge and a ridiculously small ato reservoir. Anything else? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Silverside

You will love it. ATO is indeed not useful.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Yes the ATO is useless but can be converted to a fuge with some modifications. Look into the water box aquariums- almost exact copy of the reefer but price is a bit less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Silverside

Water box aquariums are still pretty new.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Ill check out the WaterBoxes, but am partial to the Red Sea Product line in general. Appreciate the feedback.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:37 PM

Hi! I am new here and we purchased our Red Sea Reefer 350 from the Fish Room on Capital Blvd in Raleigh. They have a larger one set up there, I forget which one... It was nice to see and touch an actual Red Sea Reefer before making the purchase!

We are having our RSR350 delivered and set up hopefully this coming week It is our first salt water aquarium.... I am very excited!

Take care, Ellen in Raleigh, NC
Berlibee likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Mosquitofish

I have a Waterbox 135.4 and LOVE it. Build quality is better IMO and I think a better value. They just released some new models too that have built-in manifolds, configurable sump, etc. Definitely give them a look.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Silverside

Can you share please why you think it's better? I'd be happy to know the details as well. Thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Mosquitofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlibee View Post
Can you share please why you think it's better? I'd be happy to know the details as well. Thanks.
Hey Alexey! I didn't say better, just (IMO) better value as I feel they are pretty comparable. There were a few little things that I liked on the Waterbox (admittedly I only looked at one Red Sea Reefer so could have missed things).

1. Dual return nozzles (I think the RSR only had 1)
2. The edge caulking/seams to me looked cleaner on the Waterbox
3. The cabinets seemed of similar quality
4. The Waterbox uses standard 4" filter socks (I had about 60 old/new filter socks that I was happy to reuse)
5. Waterbox provided an ATO unit (Sentry) though I didn't use it as I already had a Tunze (I think the may have stopped including these)
6. Never used RedSea custoemr support, but I messaged Waterbox on their FB page and they responded immediately and sent me some spare cabinet hardware the next day that I needed (I broke a few cam locks putting the stand together).

To me it just seemed like I got a little bit more for a little bit lower cost (better value) and in my case, I found one locally (Greenville) when my 120G sprung a leak over XMAS holiday.
Berlibee likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Silverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbadger View Post
Hey Alexey! I didn't say better, just (IMO) better value as I feel they are pretty comparable. There were a few little things that I liked on the Waterbox (admittedly I only looked at one Red Sea Reefer so could have missed things).

1. Dual return nozzles (I think the RSR only had 1)
2. The edge caulking/seams to me looked cleaner on the Waterbox
3. The cabinets seemed of similar quality
4. The Waterbox uses standard 4" filter socks (I had about 60 old/new filter socks that I was happy to reuse)
5. Waterbox provided an ATO unit (Sentry) though I didn't use it as I already had a Tunze (I think the may have stopped including these)
6. Never used RedSea custoemr support, but I messaged Waterbox on their FB page and they responded immediately and sent me some spare cabinet hardware the next day that I needed (I broke a few cam locks putting the stand together).

To me it just seemed like I got a little bit more for a little bit lower cost (better value) and in my case, I found one locally (Greenville) when my 120G sprung a leak over XMAS holiday.
Thanks man for the info. Cheers!