Hello everyone - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Hello everyone

I'm new to this hobby but already my roommate and I have gotten an interesting collection of fish and tanks. I've even had a successful (though accidental) breeding. I've run into a few issues but hopefully I can find the help I need here to keep my fish happy and healthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

Welcome, feel free to ask your questions!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Well my main issue is finding food for my fry, I've tried alternatives but I really think my results will skyrocket with live food.
My second biggest is keeping the tanks clean, and algea free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Don't worry about "clean and algae free" if you're trying to save fry. They'll survive and grow better in a not-too-clean tank, which has more natural food available (rotifers, nematodes, etc). I responded to your PM about live foods. What kind of fish had babies?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

My Cory cats had fry a while back and I lost a bunch of the babies, I assume to lack of proper food. But one of the females is looking fat again and I've lost 3 batches since where the eggs haven't even hatched. I've got a tank of young Cory cats that may or may not breed soon as well, they have been nudging each others bellies and eating more food lately.
I'm only concerned with algea because it's killing the filter and covering everything, my downstairs tank is getting the brownish slime like algea, while my other tanks get mossy green blooms that dont bother things too much.the downstairs tank is supposed to be a planted tank but nothing survIves besides moss balls and slime, and very resilient fish.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

What if any plants are in the tank, besides moss balls (algae)? I use fast-growing easy low-light plants (hornwort, frogbit, water sprite, duckweed, myriophyllum, elodea, guppy-grass, java fern, cryptocoryne, etc) to help consume the excess nutrients (from fish food and poop) and reduce algae growth. I still get some blue-green slime (cyanobacteria) but far less than without plants.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

There is currently an amazon sword chain, and I think the other as an anubas(?) Neither are doing well, but the other plants I've tried have been eaten or over taken by the sludge. My smaller tanks have pathos and bit's of penny wort that I managed to save from the corys
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Phytoplankton

Welcome,
I havent posted in quite a while but i do read the posts often.
I was wondering how many tanks you have,what size are they,where are they located in the room (sunlight could be a factor) how long are the lights on, what type of lights, what type and how much filtration on each tank. Also what type of fish and how many in each tank. Type of food and how often do you feed? How often do you do water changes? All factors in the production of algae growth and keeping the fish healthy. Let us know so can offer a more educated answer for your concerns.
Once again welcome and enjoy the forum.
Len
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

That's a lot of info but I'll try to get it all accurate. Currently I have 4 tanks, all the tanks have led lights, the only one that gets sunlight is downstairs on the wall farthest from the window. It only gets indirect light. It's a 20g with 3 Cory, 2 pleco (I'm in the process of moving the smaller to a different tank) 3 ghost shrimp and a betta. It's got a hang over 20g filter that I monitor and clean weakly due to the build up. The other tanks are upstairs will no sunlight as the only windows are small and placed oddly in the room. There is a 10g with 5 small cory and typically it's got 3 female betta, however it's only had one for the last week. I've got a 2g bowl that has a male betta, and a small 4G breeding setup I'm using for one of my female betta, the other is in a quarantine container due to high agression, I'm considering that I may have been sold a male with a small tail and not a female I intended to get. All tanks get at least a half tank change weekly, using a gravel vac, and if any of the tank decorations look too bad I rinse them off.