Hello Everybody! - Carolina Fish Talk
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Slade
  • 1 Post By Set In Stone

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Hello Everybody!

Good Evening! I'm Mary (under the name Seasugar) but I'm trying something new. I've always had plastic plants and I'm trying to learn how to have live plants in my aquarium. So far so good but I'm totally lost on the C02! I'm using fertilizer but they are getting a few brown spots but still looking good. I've read everything I can find about the C02 and if anything it's got me more scared than anything to use it for fear of loosing my fish! I only have a dwarf gourami, 2 clown plecos, and an albino catfish. I will be adding more soon. My tank has been set up for around 5 years now. I'm not looking to add a pressurized C02 setup. I've looked into C02 in the bottle but I've till yet to find what I need to add to a 50 gallon tank. I will loose my plants before I loose my fish. Hoping for some help in that area. I've had aquariums all my life but I've never tried to grow live plants in my aquarium. I have a bubblier in my tank because I like to see the bubbles so I'm sure they have plenty of oxygen but reading about C02 it sounds like I could suffocate my fish using it!! Anyway, it's nice to meet you all and I hope to fit in well here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:28 AM

Welcome & good luck.
I tried plants from an auction when I kept African cichlids, they just made a quick meal of them, so I gave up on that. Unless they’re floating, make sure the light is strong enough.
Seasugar likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:35 PM

The key is having the right substrate for growing plants and dose liquid fertilizer per bottle instruction. Gauge your photoperiod depending on how plants react and run bubbler at night as co2 levels tend to drop at night and you will need to oxygenate water to help with the exchange.
Seasugar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the information!!! I'm sorry I'm so late replying. I'm struggling to learn the site. Golden years my ass! LOL

Last edited by Seasugar; 05-05-2020 at 05:35 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 AM

Hello, I'm new here, too! Nice to meet you.