What does your "Dream Fish Store" look like? - Page 2 - Carolina Fish Talk
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Silverside

Talking

Oh yeah, I want my dream store to have a display that they will frag out of. Not one that they say it's this amazing piece but we cannot get it anymore and the owner says we can't frag it. It would even be nice for my store to do demos of all kinds of interesting things. Kinda like Lowes and Home Depot do. Weekend Workshops!! My store would even offer AA meetings weekly for those of us who need to go to group meetings. (Aquarist Anonymous)

Hello, My name is Lori. I am a frag addict. His name is Glenn and he is sometimes worse.

He He He

~ Glenn & Lori

http://capefearaquariumsociety.com/

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/foru...arium-society/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
wes
Sailfish

A display that gets fragged doesn't remain a "display" for very long. It doesnt bother me when LFS's do not sell out of their display tank as long as selection is good in the sale tanks. Just sayin.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Arrow Worm

I'd agree with you Wes, but rarely do I see a good selection- usually all the good corals are in display and the corals for sale are the usual cookie cutter ones everyone has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Noctiluca

All the price tags say FREE..

No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
"John Ruskin"
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Mosquitofish

If any of you ever get to London, England there are some "dream" fish shops there, well worth the visit. I was stationed there in the US military. The thing I liked the best was that in every fish shop, the owner and/or manager was very knowledgeable and more than willing to tell you everything you wanted to know. They also had access great wholesalers who could get almost anything you could imagine. Also if I had to return a fish they would typically give me 100% of the retail value in a credit note or 50% in cash. Some LFS were part of the owner's house and they would help you in an emergency 24/7.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Silverside

my dream store would be the one i owned!
employees with knowledge and a commitment to ask customers the right question about there setup before allowing them to purchase a fish or any other animal for that matter not compatible with their current set up.
I would also like to see a store have a good selection of fish and corals.
I know that in today's industry it is hard to compete with internet sales but a customer would not mind paying a little more most times to have a friendly face to go with the sale.
the store should also carry a wide variety of chemicals and foods and use what they sell in the store so that they have knowledge of the products they sell. so many times you go to a LFS and ask about a product and the employee doesn't know anything about it. If i owned a fish store i would only hire people that had great husbandry practices. employees should care for the tanks and livestock in the store just like it was the tank in their house.I could go on and on but you get the just of where i am coming from.

reefkeeping is an addiction
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:09 PM
Phytoplankton

My Dream Fish Store is Fish! Fish! Fish!, Plymouth, NC (smiles)
Brautumn and ncfishguy like this.

Come check out our store in Plymouth, NC
Fish Store owner since 1964
www.fishfishfishnc.com
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Fish! Fish! Fish! Great store, found it by happenstance on the way back from the outer banks.
Very good selection of fish and very knowledgeable staff.
Another fantastic shop is Azaleas in Richmond. Combine these two shop and that would be the ideal!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Arrow Worm

It would look like Triad Reef Critters.
ncfishguy likes this.

75 gallon mixed reef
27 gallon home office reef
Nuvo Fusion 10 nano reef
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Mosquitofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Good advice is certainly priceless!
My dream fish store is the "Inland Reef".

You simply are not going to find anyone with more knowledge about saltwater fish than Michael. While his store is very small, he frequently has fish that you will never see in any LFS. He can pretty well get you anything that you want. I have purchased the following fish from him - Quoyi Parrotfish, Blue Fusiler Damsels, Pictillis Anthias, and several other more common fish at excellent prices.

When he had his grand opening he had Candy Basslets, Joculator Angels, Bandit Angels, and about 4 other kinds of fish that I've never seen before in any LFS.

If I could change anything about the store, I'ld make it bigger with more fish. His goal is to be the store on the east coast with rare fish and sell online to. I believe that some day he will make it.

When It comes to coral - Atlanta Aquarium. Just wish that they were closer and a little less expensive.