What is the purpose of a forum? - Page 4 - Carolina Fish Talk
View Poll Results: What do you think is the purpose of a forum?
To argue with someone you've never met because you're just that bored? 3 5.45%
To pat each other on the back for the sake of being nice? 0 0%
To share information, opinions, ideas, and experiences within the hobby? 49 89.09%
To show off your newest acquisition to people who appreciate it? 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 AM
wes
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHag88 View Post

It is not the bashing and no need to report we are all adults here. I myself am new and i can see where people would feel bashed for example(7 people chime in on how dumb you could be to put a tang in a 75gal. when the person is just asking for info on it) i mean really is this a peta forum for fish???? i personally have a tang in a 75 and she is doing lovely.perfect color no stress so like the saying goes opinions are like buttholes stink be wiff. I dont like how i have read some posts and people are just bashing. this is a forum for info from others,tank show off,questions,help or what not ect. ect. not to tell you that you are basically dumb because u want to put this fish with that fish ect ect... friendly advice accepted right?? not rude constructive criticism.It is very intimidating to post on here not knowing how many people are going to gang up on you because of what you put in a tank.just my thoughts. its not that fact that you should have thick skin its the fact that you have 8 other people telling you the same exact thing like i get the whole these fish dont go together but dont beat it into their heads guys. i mean i am not in the business of asking a question and then getting 10 of the same exact answers.waste of blog space if you ask me.......
The tang thing is a sensitive subject. And rightly so since so many of them die in small tanks by people who don't know how to care for them properly.

There are people who are out to shut this hobby down. We don't want to give them more ammunition by allowing fish to die when they don't need to. You know the whale wars people? They are going after the aquarium trade now. If you can't each someone who doesn't know any better about the proper care and tank size for fish that increases the fish's chance of living a long life, it is good for the hobby as a whole.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/12/snorkel-bob-joins-the-sea-shepherd-board-of-directors.html
oceandude and EricRDU7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Phytoplankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
The tang thing is a sensitive subject. And rightly so since so many of them die in small tanks by people who don't know how to care for them properly.

There are people who are out to shut this hobby down. We don't want to give them more ammunition by allowing fish to die when they don't need to. You know the whale wars people? They are going after the aquarium trade now. If you can't each someone who doesn't know any better about the proper care and tank size for fish that increases the fish's chance of living a long life, it is good for the hobby as a whole.

Snorkel Bob Joins the Sea Shepherd Board of Directors | AquaNerd

my tang [ellen] is thriving and seems to be okay with her tank mates.As for proper care i know the do's and dont's but hey its my fish tank and my fish are happy,fat,and playful. i'm just saying maybe people should start off saying i suggest you do this... not {are you seriously going to do that} why yes i will as long as it lives and isnt stressed out seems legit to me I am by no means knocking i am just saying some should think before they type. and hey if elle gets to big i will offer her to someone with a bigger system unless the fish police wanna buy me a new one :]
Ftalley202 likes this.

when life gives you lemons, kill aiptasia !!!!!
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Phytoplankton

Quote:
my tang [ellen] is thriving and seems to be okay with her tank mates.As for proper care i know the do's and dont's but hey its my fish tank and my fish are happy,fat,and playful. i'm just saying maybe people should start off saying i suggest you do this... not {are you seriously going to do that} why yes i will as long as it lives and isnt stressed out seems legit to me I am by no means knocking i am just saying some should think before they type. and hey if elle gets to big i will offer her to someone with a bigger system unless the fish police wanna buy me a new one :]
snorkel bob????? i cant take anyone serious with this name on such a "big topic" trampeling reefs and such as far as im concerned my reefs are thriving. snorkel bob can call dcf for fish and coral on me if he must lol "THE DARK HOBBY" as he calls it. marine aquarist should find a new hobby??? really i am sorry if i offend but this guy can kiss it. snorkel bob ain't got nothing on scuba steve nuff said ......end rant

when life gives you lemons, kill aiptasia !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Eurypterid

Tess, , but I agree with the original post.
Blitzburggirl and Mr. Coral like this.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Goonch Catfish

Can't answer, not enough info, lol - are you asking what is the purpose of forums in general, or what we think the purpose of this forum has become?
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Silverside

I think the point of THIS forum has become putting ads anywhere possible. Seriously...when you can't find the real posts....it is too much.
AcroDisiac likes this.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 AM
wes
Sailfish

Quote:
Your case isn't too bad but there are people who put a tang in a 20g tank. You would be amazed how much faster a tang grows in a big tank. I noticed recently someone on here had 4 tangs in a 90g. Nobody jumped on him but they probably should have.

The reason people jump on others about this topic is because it is so common to see tangs in tiny tanks that don't live long. It has been going on for years.

The tang police are much less militant here than they are in other forums.

Snorkle Bob may have a silly name but he has alot of money and now sits on the Sea Sheopard board of directors.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Silverside

Come on. Deep down we all know that this forum - and the internet - is only about one thing.

post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Silverside

It's a place where I can be a key board warrior. Run my mouth and have a false sense of security that now one will come and stick a boot up my a$$ for running my mouth. Sound about right? I've seen a few of those.

Seriously, it's an amazing tool if used properly. There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum. As well as bad advise, but you'll always have that. It's a place that we can share our passion in this hobby. Find great deals, information and make/meet some wonderful people. There'll always be that 1% that try and ruin it for everyone. It's up to us to ignore that type of behavior.
AcroDisiac and SeaHag88 like this.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Silverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEJAWTRIGGER View Post
It's a place where I can be a key board warrior. Run my mouth and have a false sense of security that now one will come and stick a boot up my a$$ for running my mouth. Sound about right? I've seen a few of those.

Seriously, it's an amazing tool if used properly. There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum. As well as bad advise, but you'll always have that. It's a place that we can share our passion in this hobby. Find great deals, information and make/meet some wonderful people. There'll always be that 1% that try and ruin it for everyone. It's up to us to ignore that type of behavior.
Ok so maybe my post should of sounded like this one well said BJT its always that 1%
SeaHag88 likes this.