Facebook - Page 6 - Carolina Fish Talk
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffyLuv View Post
Really not sure we can attribute all this to a skin/mode that people don't like...but just thought I would share this pic - this is not my opinion, or based on more "chatter" on Facebook rather than here...these are real numbers from godaddy. Facebook has three times the clicks to our website...more than three times...and the page itself is only two years old...just started really using it this year. Shoot, our ad with Reef Hobbyist gets more. Kind of wondering how soon CFT will just be grouped in with "others" because it won't be worth mentioning...
I definitely wasn't arguing that the site traffic isn't down, but Rookie had a good point, other than the raffle you keep us pretty informed on reefsmart with your posts! I would love nothing more than for this site to grow into a large regional aquatic site once again. Hopefully with some diligence and good people it will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

Sponsors. But it can't happen if people don't start being more active...so...catch 22. :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Noctiluca

Quote:
ReefSMART, and indeed, even the farm events...are just not seeing the excitement on the forum we used to. :( If you go back in this section...there are dozens of posts from excited hobbyists on pretty much every RS thread...now...almost radio silence! But, never fear...I figured out where everyone went! Facebook!!!

https://m.facebook.com/ReefSMART/

Please hit us up with a "Like" and add yourself as "Going" to the event!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1592892461015521/?ti=as

If there are any other media outlets you browse "reef stuff" on, (like Coralina Reefers on Facebook) please let us know! Thanks, and as always...see ya at the show!!!

Definitely check out some of our raffle posts on FB - more last minute ones rolling in all the time! As well as vendors!
Sent you a message.
PuffyLuv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Phytoplankton

Being in IT I have to ask, why is the forum hosted on a site with so many ads, or any ads for that matter? Sure it wouldn't be difficult to move someplace with a better user experience. As far as Facebook it has its place but I feel like it's full of internet tough guys and tons a petty fights seem to crop up. I don't see that happen here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

The ads are there because the forum costs money - and there isn't enough traffic to attract businesses anymore :(

post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bowfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo86 View Post
Being in IT I have to ask, why is the forum hosted on a site with so many ads, or any ads for that matter? Sure it wouldn't be difficult to move someplace with a better user experience. As far as Facebook it has its place but I feel like it's full of internet tough guys and tons a petty fights seem to crop up. I don't see that happen here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The site is owned by a group that owns tons of forums, so advertising is how they make their money. It isn't just this site though; I think every site they own gets a lot of add space added on.
oceandude likes this.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Phytoplankton

Quote:
The ads are there because the forum costs money - and there isn't enough traffic to attract businesses anymore :(

I assume that the domain is owned by someone here? If so it shouldn't be that difficult to move it to something like digital ocean for fairly cheep.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Shortfin Mako

Negative.

The site used to be locally owned but have gone through several de-evolutions since Tony (justifiably so) no longer had the time to run it.

The first set of new owners were not that bad but they sold it off pretty quickly to a "big box" due to the high activity and traffic rate.

Since then the snowball started down hill pretty fast.....

However, content is 100% on us. So we can blame ads, Facebook, other forums, etc. but without new and/or pertinent user generated content like anything deprived of its vital nutrients......it will wither. In my more active periods my biggest fight was to keep new ideas and topics going to prevent the site from degrading to "a good place to buy stuff locally for cheap." Which it has for sure.....but people used to be different too. I used to hang out at people's houses and talk shop, help with their tanks, and occasionally buy or trade stuff. I get the feeling there aren't that many people on here anymore that are willing to drive 2 hours and not get anything out of it besides the company of a fellow reefer. Crazy part is I would even hang out with people I did not see eye to eye with on A LOT of things but we shared the common hobby.

I feel like part of it is that people have changed as well and not necessarily for the better. We now live in an era of "want, click, get" through the medium of an inanimate object. I definitely used to snipe at Grace regularly (and I still will, explain the carbonate system ) but I would also meet up in person and talk shop. I get the feeling those days are over unless a transaction is involved.
gerald, PuffyLuv and oceandude like this.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day......

"I cannot afford to waste my time making money." -Louis Agassiz
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Bowfin

Edit....Double post

Last edited by nova65ss; 04-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Bowfin

Big part is people are already on Facebook so new reefers already have a place to go. 1st time you search for reef stuff online the next time you go to Facebook reef groups will show up as suggested based off your searches. Behavioral targeting it's called in the SEO ppc web world. Back in the day you had to search the web for reefing help and sites like this would show up in Google which is how I found the site about 10 years years ago. I see new reefers asking the same old cycling questions on Facebook just as much as they used to here.

R2R and reef central are doing fine but they have good people running the sites. If the site is going to be successful the site owners have to give the users a reason to want to come and stay after they come.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk