Facebook - Page 7 - Carolina Fish Talk
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

I cant speak for the reefers because i'm not one, but face-to-face camaraderie and sense of community is alive and well, even if it doesn't appear in forums. Raleigh Aquar Soc, which is now pretty much a freshwater club since the salties drifted away 10+ years ago, is doing quite well with 30-45 people at monthly meetings and 100-150 at the CAW workshop (March) and Fall auctions. The RAS forum fizzled out, and the RAS Facebook Group gets some activity, but it's less than 25% of the people who come to real live meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCreature View Post
....However, content is 100% on us. So we can blame ads, Facebook, other forums, etc. but without new and/or pertinent user generated content like anything deprived of its vital nutrients......it will wither. In my more active periods my biggest fight was to keep new ideas and topics going to prevent the site from degrading to "a good place to buy stuff locally for cheap." Which it has for sure.....but people used to be different too. I used to hang out at people's houses and talk shop, help with their tanks, and occasionally buy or trade stuff. I get the feeling there aren't that many people on here anymore that are willing to drive 2 hours and not get anything out of it besides the company of a fellow reefer. Crazy part is I would even hang out with people I did not see eye to eye with on A LOT of things but we shared the common hobby.

I feel like part of it is that people have changed as well and not necessarily for the better. We now live in an era of "want, click, get" through the medium of an inanimate object. I definitely used to snipe at Grace regularly (and I still will, explain the carbonate system ) but I would also meet up in person and talk shop. I get the feeling those days are over unless a transaction is involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

Not for me, Joe, not for me!!!! I still want you to snipe at me...and get all mopey when you don't...here, on Facebook, anywhere. I don't care the platform!

People find this site, Nova...as Joe said, we are still the number one search for a local forum in Google. It is just once they do, they often decide this site has no traffic other than sales and will sit there unnoticed. When people post a question, (anywhere) they want an answer NOW...not 24 hours later, or even 4 hours later. A sales post with a 20 dollar bubble tip will get a hit within minutes...so people are here...but it has become a site of lurkers....

Yeah, truth be told, the current owners of the forum don't even WANT business sponsors anymore...besides the ones they sell the ads to that have nothing to do with aquarium keeping. Years ago I asked for information on why my sponsorship for the farm had been deleted, and for an admin to please contact...that post is still up there, years old now. I pmed an admin several times to no avail. Finally I begged the mods to figure it out...and they were ignored, too. A deal was struck...keep helping people on the forum, as I always have...and though I wouldn't have a section to post in, I would be able to post. It didn't matter anyway...because the business sponsor sections were being ignored by then in favor of the buy/sell section. There was once a day where local business owners were active on here...you know, someone other than me.

The money USED to come from LFS and online stores...but that became "too hard" to manage...so after having our accounts deleted 3 times, we were then completely ignored. Do the current sponsors (the ads you see) contribute to the forum, as the old sponsors (LFS) did? I saw the biggest difference happen here when that changed...

I will always post on CFT...the main ad. Gone are the days when I could put the real exciting stuff on here and count on anyone to notice. I would still do it if there was a reason...but again, when I called everyone to please go like and comment...I got two people who cared enough to do it. It isn't because ReefSMART didn't have traffic...because we had over 500 people at the show this year. So many people were posting on FB about the goodies they got, and pics of the show, my Facebook crashes when I try to scroll to notifications from that day. So much traffic, it broke my FB!

Joe is right, blame what you like...but it is the fault of the members. There could be (and probably are) hundreds of people who went to RS that are registered on here...but we don't give them a reason to come here and talk about it. :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
oceandude likes this.
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Eurypterid

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffyLuv View Post
Not for me, Joe, not for me!!!! I still want you to snipe at me.......................
Sorry, I'm going off topic:

I remember the snipes, then Joe would be at the RS's (years ago) lecturing and demonstrating coral fragging...giving the frags away to folks at the event...then, back to the snipe game. Good times for sure.

Last edited by oceandude; 04-24-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

Yeah, I miss em. :( Totally not off topic...Joe actually got as many people to come to his coral fragging demo as Jason Fox did! Aaaaaand Jason got glue on my brand new coral saw and will never be forgiven, lol....so Joe wins the prize for best fragging demo at any RS, ever. <3 He also did a fragging event at the farm that got people on youtube criticizing our rusty tools, lol...though I don't think that's a thing Joe sniped at me for!! Probably a bunch of other stuff!

Joe also is the main driving force behind my desire to get talks/demos back to RS again. Well...that and the whole point of the non profit to begin with - Sustainable Reef is the real name of ReefSMART, after all. (The name of the non profit that owns it)

oceandude likes this.
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Eurypterid

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffyLuv View Post
Yeah, I miss em. :( Totally not off topic...Joe actually got as many people to come to his coral fragging demo as Jason Fox did! Aaaaaand Jason got glue on my brand new coral saw and will never be forgiven, lol....so Joe wins the prize for best fragging demo at any RS, ever. <3 He also did a fragging event at the farm that got people on youtube criticizing our rusty tools, lol...though I don't think that's a thing Joe sniped at me for!! Probably a bunch of other stuff!

Joe also is the main driving force behind my desire to get talks/demos back to RS again. Well...that and the whole point of the non profit to begin with - Sustainable Reef is the real name of ReefSMART, after all. (The name of the non profit that owns it)

I so remember most of this, except I don't recall if it was Jason or someone else I picked up at RDU Airport for the event...arg...my memory is not what it once was. :(

We in the hobby also bought and donated items for RS before it really 'took off' with some of the big company donations, like it has.

Last edited by oceandude; 04-24-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Goonch Catfish

Happened again this year, Ocean!!!!! A good chunk of meteor shower donated by a hobbyist! <3

oceandude likes this.