Gnarley's 120 Build Thread :D - Carolina Fish Talk
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

Gnarley's 120 Build Thread :D

Well its time to move up

We recently bought a new house in Denver (NC) and with the additional space, I got the go ahead for a new build (YAY) If any of you followed my old thread, this one should move along a little faster than the last (Hopefully). My goal is to have the new tank wet within the next 2 months.

Anyway on to the build.

Step one was to rip out the carpet and put down vinyl tile down where the tank will be. The reason for this is, we are putting down wood floor in the spring (Tax season ) and I need to have something permanent that I can work around, that will go with the new floors.

So here's what that looked like...

oceandude and Aquafan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

As for the tank, I picked up an acrylic tank from a member a couple months ago, and the plan was to sand it down and start new I looked at glass, but I really wanted a new clean tank without any scratches and the only way I could swing it was to put in a little elbow grease.

So anyways, I started sanding it yesterday, and it was not easy LOL. I manage to get the left side in & out, as well as the inside of the front in about 4-5 hours.

I started with a 1000 grit, then worked my way up to a 2000, then 3 stages of novus all by hand, and finally Plastix to finish it off. And I must say it turned out pretty good. Unfortunatley, pretty good is not what I am aiming for, so it was back to square one.

After I finished there were still a few deep scratches that I could not get out with the 1000 grit paper. So it was back to Lowes. I picked up[ some 600 grit and started again. I sanded frint, sides, and top in and out with the 600 grit, then went over it and where ever there was a deep scratch I had missed I filled it in with a sharpie, then sanded until the scratch was gone. I spen 8 hours on the tank today and only managed to get the 600 grit done. So maybe tomorrow I can get started with the 1000.

Heres, a couple shots of the first try & then where I'm at today...

Last edited by GnarleyMarley; 09-05-2016 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Mosquitofish

yay a new build!
GnarleyMarley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

Heres my plan for my new stand....

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Eurypterid

Helluva a job my friend, I did it on a 220 acrylic I had...ugh...your's looks like a great sanding so far...should look clear as can be after the 3 Novus products man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarleyMarley View Post
As for the tank, I picked up an acrylic tank from a member a couple months ago, and the plan was to sand it down and start new I looked at glass, but I really wanted a new clean tank without any scratches and the only way I could swing it was to put in a little elbow grease.

So anyways, I started sanding it yesterday, and it was not easy LOL. I manage to get the left side in & out, as well as the inside of the front in about 4-5 hours.

I started with a 1000 grit, then worked my way up to a 2000, then 3 stages of novus all by hand, and finally Plastix to finish it off. And I must say it turned out pretty good. Unfortunatley, pretty good is not what I am aiming for, so it was back to square one.

After I finished there were still a few deep scratches that I could not get out with the 1000 grit paper. So it was back to Lowes. I picked up[ some 600 grit and started again. I sanded frint, sides, and top in and out with the 600 grit, then went over it and where ever there was a deep scratch I had missed I filled it in with a sharpie, then sanded until the scratch was gone. I spen 8 hours on the tank today and only managed to get the 600 grit done. So maybe tomorrow I can get started with the 1000.

Heres, a couple shots of the first try & then where I'm at today...

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

Yea, and just to be sure I grabbed some plastix and a Powerball to do a final polishing
oceandude likes this.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Silverside

Better you than us my friend! Lots of work but I'm sure it will be great when it's finished.
oceandude and GnarleyMarley like this.

Barbara (bsa) George (gea)
70 & 76 Gallon mixed reefs
70 Gal CRACKED / Repaired Clam Dominant Cube
Always Feed your critters!
Our Clowns Laying Eggs
http://youtu.be/aGAHM7KOkZQ

76 gallon SPS Dominant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdS8IZNGybA
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Spanish Mackeral

Looking good! I'm planning to upsize. I wanted to double up on my tank size so I'll probably do something around the same size as yours. I'll be keeping my eye on your build.
GnarleyMarley and Ebone like this.

Last edited by RedReefer; 09-06-2016 at 04:56 PM.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

Managed to get the 1200 grit done today .

Up next is the 2000 grit.... by hand....ugh!

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Spanish Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReefer View Post
Looking good! I'm planning to upsize. I wanted to double up on my tank size so I'll probably do something around the same size as yours. I'll be keeping my eye on your build.

I have always loved a 4' 120. It's the depth, after you have a 2' wide tank it's very hard to go back to an 18" tank. It's amazing the difference 6" makes (that's what she said lol)
Augy likes this.