Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

How about a big benefit frag sale/auction for a charity?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  PuffyLuv 
#1 ·
Since Christmas time is coming soon, why don't we think about having a BIG frag auction in Raleigh to benefit a good, local charity??

Personally I would like to see us raise some money that would go toward a charity we can all agree is a worthwhile group.

Meet in a central location, such as somewhere on/near Capital that way folks from Garner/Cary/Wake Forest (and that one dude in Zebulon lol :D) can come.

Let us bring either frags, or cash, to auction off. Maybe some "nearly new" equipment, or something.

We'd want to do this around Dec 1-10th, and no later, just because of "holiday hell" and traffic.

If anyone knows a particular family in a VERY hard situation, we may be able to rally this around them.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am in no position to part with cash right now but I would help and I have some less exciting mushrooms that I could offer up but they probably won't bring much.
I also know one of the Wake County directors of the program that has christmas lists for needy families in Wake County. These folks usually ask for things like clothes, coats, infant wear, and a few toys. Truly needy folks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am in no position to part with cash right now but I would help and I have some less exciting mushrooms that I could offer up but they probably won't bring much.
Yeah same here, but in larger numbers, even fleas get noticed.

I also know one of the Wake County directors of the program that has christmas lists for needy families in Wake County. These folks usually ask for things like clothes, coats, infant wear, and a few toys. Truly needy folks!

I think this is a good idea.

#5 ·
It would be nice to have it at Fish World, they certainly have the room and I bet they would be willing. The last event they did was hindered a bit by the hurricane and had lowered attendance. I am sure they would love to be a part of this, Rob and Mary are very nice people - actually went to high school with Mary!

TRF would be glad to donate, of course. :) If we can hurry up and get a date set for this it can be advertised at the TRAC table at RS - be a huge boost. Actually have to call Rob tonight to see if he is attending RS, early reg ends today - so I would be glad to let him know about the thread and see what he thinks. :)

#6 ·
So who are we benefitting?

Josh is doing a superb job of Toys for Tots, a sweet nation-wide group, and thus I'm hoping we can do something for someone local to the Raleigh area.

Is there a Women's shelter (where kids and ladies are helped) in Raleigh that would be a good cause, that you all may recommend? Single (or endangered) moms and children both would be benefiting and I think that is a good idea.

We would need to think this up quickly (the recipient). The actual event itself could be quite easy to do, though.

Reactions: oceandude
#8 ·
So who are we benefitting?

Josh is doing a superb job of Toys for Tots, a sweet nation-wide group, and thus I'm hoping we can do something for someone local to the Raleigh area.
Matt, the way we're doing this with the Toys for Tots tank will help the local kids out. If you donate money to the charity then they can disburse that nationwide. When you donate toys, like we plan to do, they bring the toys to a local disbursement center and they are given to kids in the local area.

I'm not trying to discourage you from helping another charity out, I think it's a great idea I just wanted to make sure I cleared that up.

#9 ·
I'd love to have an event to support a charitable cause. I'm sure we could all spare a couple of frags, or maybe clean up some old equipment.

I'm not much help on suggesting a charity, though - all of my favorites are animal-related:) I don't know much about human charities.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I could not get ahold of Fish World, they announced they were closing a few days...

Lol, I hear ya Scoots, I know plenty of animal-related charities very deserving - like Reef Stewardship Foundation with my friend Brian Plankis - and non-reef animal charites like NC Rottie Rescue. I'll help with anything that sounds cool, though, ya'll know me. :)

#13 ·
Alrighty, folks, I think this is a GREAT idea, but I'd like to see a little more feedback before we start planning. Here's what we need:

1) Location
2) Commitments to donate and attend
3) A Charity that we all want to support.

Can I get some more ideas or input?

#15 · (Edited)
I don't have anything but I will come. If its going to be boys and girls club I would contact them and see if they have a space we could use.

Well I do have some pink palys Id be happy to donate but they won't bring much. I might also have some green hairy mushrooms but again probably won't bring much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I can donate, at the least, one of my custom made fountain pens since I don't have a lot of frags at this point.

If its going to be boys and girls club I would contact them and see if they have a space we could use.
That's a great idea. I will try to dig up a phone number tonight. If we are doing this through TRAC, I'd rather a TRAC officer make the "final" arrangements, but I'm quite willing to call and test the waters.

#17 ·
I can donate the farm as a location, of course. And of course TRF can donate coral as well. :)

You guys know fragdude? Well, his niece Dakota had a rare type of cancer I can't remember the name of - I am sure she could hook us up with the right charity to do something with child cancer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.