Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

TRAC Meeting - January 21st, 3pm

6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  ScooterBlenny 
#1 ·
Our next meeting will be Saturday, January 21st at 3pm at JoeReefer's house! He lives in Preston in Cary - we'll give the address to those who RSVP.

We haven't chosen a topic for discussion yet, so throw some ideas out there. Also, frag swapping/selling/trading is allowed, so go ahead and make some frags so they'll be nice and healed before the meeting.

Let me know if you'd like to contribute snacks or drinks - we always need plenty of munchies.

So, does anybody have a particular topic they'd like us all to talk about at the January meeting?

#10 ·
I'd love to attend.
How about a topic on test kits.
- What are the typical Reef Aquarium Water Parameters we shoot for
- What test kits are available for testing each parameter what what do we like best.
- Everyone brings their test kits and we can do head to head testing per parameter.
- See what mfg of a certain test you like best. What ones are the easiest to use, easiest to read, etc.

#11 · (Edited)
That sounds like a winner Dave. I have a couple diff kits here.

Could also take a minute on expiration dates of kits and see how accurate they are if anyone has an old one or two. I think I can dig up at least one.

#14 ·
I will bring
API TC for Calcium, Alk, Phosphate, Nitrate and Ammonia (dont have nitrite)
Red Sea (non pro) for Mag

We can probably reference Randy Holmes-Farley's Article for reef aquarium water parameters. I will bring copies if that is ok.

Always wanted to see what test kits I like best without the upfront investment. Should be a good time.

#15 ·
Here's what I have:
API Reef Master: Cal, KH, Nitrate, Phos
Hanna Checkers: Alk, Cal, Low Range Phos, PH (would like to check a one of these against another Hanna Checker just to see if they're the same)

Old ones I found:
LaMotte: Alk, 5+ years old
Seachem: Phos, Alk, PH, 5+ years old

:cheers:

#35 ·
Yea, good time and thanks to all for coming. Great to see everyone and meet some new folks! Sorry about having to travel in the crappy weather, guess like they say, you can't control mother nature. Hopefully we'll dodge the rain next time.

Seems the outcome from the testing and test kits was that they all were really close as far as the results. And that the time it takes per test has a lot to do with the operator. lol!

Guess the important thing is that you are testing regularly and you do know where your parametes are supposed to be. As I leard yesterday no matter how your tank looks or how good it seems to be doing you never know until you test, test, test.

Thanks again everyone and hope to see you next time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.