Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Trac

7K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  ScooterBlenny 
#1 ·
Is this still going?

#33 · (Edited)
In my past experience I've found that a person's house is the best place to have a club meeting, especially when the club is starting out and is still really small. It is more inviting and a lot less overwhelming to someone new to the hobby and the area. You can check out someone's tank and see how they designed it and what works for them and what doesn't. The owner can also give a tour of their tank and explain why they did what they did. But, it's getting harder and harder to find people that are willing to open their house to strangers (which I can understand). When I was single I had no problem with it, but like Wes, my wife would not go for that at all.

I never liked the idea of having a meeting at a LFS. There is too much going on. You don't know who to talk to because you don't know who is there for the meeting and who is there to just shop. You also don't have much to look at. Most stores have the same setup and you can't really get a "behind the scenes" tour of the store. Just a thought, it would be pretty cool to have some kind of LFS tour. Learn how and why they setup the tanks that they have. How they handle quarantining fish and corals. What their livestock processes are and what hardware they use to maintain such a large volume of water.

For meetings, weekend nights work best for me, but I'm available anytime. If you need someone to do a lecture, I have a few topics I can talk about that might interest some people. It's always good to have talks that range from beginner to expert to keep everyone interested.

Planning and assembling a DIY LED fixture
The big 3; Calcium, Alkalinity & Magnesium
How overflows and sumps work (setting up your first sump)
DIY Live rock and how to assemble a rock wall
How to drill an aquarium (glass and acrylic)

There are probably others, too. If anyone has a topic they would like discussed I might be able to talk about it. Just throw out some ideas.

I'm down to start up the club again. I just hope we can get some good enthusiasm that doesn't fizzle out after the first meeting or 2. If there are a group of people that want to seriously get this going I'd be more than happy to discuss ways to start it up. I was an officer of the club in Orlando that started with 8 people and eventually got big enough to hold MACNA.

#36 ·
I think a club needs officers to make sure it sticks, very imporant step. Don't wait and hope, make it happen type of thing. I nominate YodaHart for president, (based on posted experience, not a popularity contest, though ya know you are awesome) and then other officers fill the best position for them...so...Wes, Joereefer, Tcoker, pick from VP, Treasurer, Marketing/Secratary.

I think a poll on here to let people vote for and nominate people would be a great start, and I happen to know of a huge event coming up in December that is bound to have a lot of triangle enthusiasts that I bet you could pick up a lot of members at, remember CFT is not the only place you might try to start this. Did you know ReefSMART provides free tables to clubs? ;)

#38 ·
Sweet, I take that as an acceptance for office. :D And had a good laugh besides! :D (Oh, just the way a club should be - seriously getting things done but also have a BLAST while doing it!!!) Okay, tcoker you are next, so choose your office or I will choose it for you. ;)

Then once we have our candidates we can run a vote, that is assuming we can find some folks to run against you, or a couple of you that might be good for more than one office. (not at the same time of course, I mean just to put a poll up to vote)

Want to know how to make interest in something not fizzle out? ;) All it takes is constant bashing your head against a brick wall for long enough and eventually the dang thing just falls down. :) So fall already, guys, cause puffy is a busy gal LOL!

Puffy's Motto - If you build it, they will come.

What? It worked for ReefSMART. :D

#41 ·
Squeeee!!!! I miss you, Scoots, thanks for posting - I have been trying hard to convince everyone that all this club needs is volunteers to work on it - officers and so on. I hope you can come to reefsmart in december, stop by my booth and say wassup? :D
I've got it on my calendar, can't wait to see everybody!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.