August 1st 2014 meeting announcement - Carolina Fish Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

August 1st 2014 meeting announcement

Our next meeting will be Friday, August 1st, where Juan Damelines will speak about plecos. There will be a betta bowl show and an auction. Members are welcome to bring fish, corals, plants, etc to the auction. The club does not keep any of the auction winning bid or charge a fee to enter items. What people bid is what you get!

As a special event, we will also be raffling away a copy of Amazonas magazine. All who attend will receive a free raffle ticket.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is there a member fee for joining the club, attending the meetings, etc?
A: No, it's free to come to meetings. We won't ask you for money, it's free and always will be.

Q: What's a meeting like?
A: People show up around 7:30 and start setting up and browsing through auction goods. From 8-9, we all listen to the month's speaker. At 9, we have a betta bowl show. Around 9:15 we start the auction.

Q: Auction? What are the auction rules?
A: People are welcome to bring any aquarium related item (fish fry, filters, reptile heating lamps, flake food, anything). They set their item's starting bid. The auctioneer bounces bids back and forth among people, until the highest bid is determined. That person gives cash to the seller. The club doesn't keep any of the sale price. What people bid is what the seller gets.

Q: I heard there was a raffle, what's that?
A: This month the raffle prize will be a copy of Amazonas magazine. All who attend will receive a free raffle ticket and a chance to win!

Q: Cool! I'm interested in coming! Where do I park?
A: Parking is free, and in Lot T on this map is the closest the building.
http://static.wfu.edu/files/pdf/visi...parkingmap.pdf
It helps if you print that map out. We'll be in room 125 of Winston Hall.

Q: Can I bring a friend? My kids? My spouse?
A: Yes! Everybody is welcome. We will even try to have aquarium themed coloring pages for kids at most meetings.

Q: How many people usually attend the average meeting?
A: We've increased attendance since we first started meeting in the fall of 2013 to now expect between 10 and 30 people at each meeting. Make us bigger by bringing your friends The more the merrier!

Schedule:
7:30 people start arriving, mingling and browsing through the auction goods.
8:00 speaker starts
9:00 ish betta bowl show. Bring your betta and see if it's the crowd favorite.
9:15 ish auction. The club does not take any percentage of sales. What people bid is what the seller gets. People have in the past brought fish, macroalgae, corals, plants, equipment, heat lamps for reptiles, aquarium decorations, etc. Feel free to bring anything aquarium related

Club website: Aquarium Enthusiasts of Triad NC
Discussion forum: https://www.facebook.com/groups/233500553412439/
Pictures of past meetings: C A A S :: View topic - Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point area club
Parking is free. The lot labeled T on this map is the closest to the building: http://static.wfu.edu/files/pdf/visi...parkingmap.pdf

Last edited by Erica Lyons; 07-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Noctiluca

will frag tanks be set up to see corals before bidding....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadams View Post
will frag tanks be set up to see corals before bidding....
If you would like to set up a frag tank, you are welcome to. We provide the room and the table, you bring whatever you want to sell. Water is not available in the room itself, although there is a bathroom down the hall.

One way to optimize frag survival to and from the meeting is to package the corals in a plastic bag, as if you were going to ship them.
(Example method to ship corals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jvldCDayE )
They can be displayed in their bags. Or, if you'd like to bring a frag tank, you could unbag them and display them that way. Tables are available at no charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM

I have a platy that I might have to get rid of. Can I just bring it in a bottle or something?

It's in a nano tank with CPDs, and when there were 5 CPDs, it seemed fine, but i bought 4 more, and now I see him chasing them around a bit. Don't know if it's aggression or not, but if it continues, I don't want the other fish to just hide out.

Lemme know if there's something I have to do and if there's a certain way I should bring him/her.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahonng View Post
I have a platy that I might have to get rid of. Can I just bring it in a bottle or something?...
...Lemme know if there's something I have to do and if there's a certain way I should bring him/her.
As long as the container is water tight, it'll work.

The bags specifically designed for transporting fish are what most people use because they're the easiest and cheapest. Here is a place to buy them: AquaBid.com - Shipping Supplies
The seller MVP (Mark V. Percival) on this aquabid website sells good bags inexpensively. Mark ships out the same or next day after receiving payment, so you get them fast. If you order bags now, you'll definitely have them before the meeting. Fill the bag with 2 or 3 inches of water so the fish is covered and can be upright, then the rest of the bag should be air.

Please don't use ziploc bags because they're not water tight. And be careful when using dollar store tupperware containers because they sometimes store those coated in bug repellent that can kill fish. Wash it with hot water first.

Last edited by Erica Lyons; 07-24-2014 at 02:23 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Jedi Knight
Bowfin

Drink bottles with good tight caps like Aquafina or Gatorade work fine for small fish. Fill not more than 1/2 full, and lay them on their side to maximize air/water surface contact. For tiny fry I actually prefer bottles so there's no bag corner folds they can get trapped in.

Juan really knows his stuff, and is a S. Amer native himself - dont miss this one!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Phytoplankton

Thank you everyone for coming!