Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing these in person. If anyone in my area wants to drill one for a small overflow/sump (which is a HUGE benefit to these tanks), I can drill them with my dremel diamond bit. Piece of cake, takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing these in person. If anyone in my area wants to drill one for a small overflow/sump (which is a HUGE benefit to these tanks), I can drill them with my dremel diamond bit. Piece of cake, takes about 10 minutes.
Would be tremendous benefit, but not allowed for contest(1a).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Just keeping track of my stuff in this post:

-1 Current-USA 18'' T5HO Fixture (used-reef2reef.com $30) <--not the best fit but I will figure it out!
-1 Koralia 2 (used-reef2reef.com $25)
-1 Aqueon 10 Power Filter (new-Fosterandsmith.com $15)
-1 Jager 50 watt heater (new-Fosterandsmith.com $15)

So far: $85.00 total in Hardware

I already have 20lbs of live-sand and a 5# piece of live-rock from my main tank in there right now. Going to give the tank a few weeks to settle in and then going to start adding some corals and a few more smaller pieces of live-rock.

EDIT: Per a reminder via foresteronw, I have removed the Live-Rock, Water, and sand from my 10gallon tank. Water and rock went into my main tank, sand went into a 5gal bucket with a tad of water over it to keep it wet. Didn't realize you couldn't put any of this in there until March 1st. No worries, can't wait until March 1st!
:)

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Just keeping track of my stuff in this post:

-1 Current-USA 18'' T5HO Fixture (used-reef2reef.com $30)
-1 Koralia Nano (used-reef2reef.com $15)
-1 Aqueon 10 Power Filter (new-Fosterandsmith.com $15)
-1 Jager 50 watt heater (new-Fosterandsmith.com $15)

So far: $75.00 total in Hardware

I already have 20lbs of live-sand and a 5# piece of live-rock from my main tank in there right now. Going to give the tank a few weeks to settle in and then going to start adding some corals and a few more smaller pieces of live-rock.

:)
AdamT, if you want to be eligble for the contest you're going to have to take the water sand and all that out of it. You can't set it up until the day the contest starts. Jeb updated the rules to make them more clear on this.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
ahhh well crap. the rock was easier to get out of there and I just added the water back into my main tank (thankfully I haven't topped off in a few days on my main), as for the sand I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a bit of water on top of it. Hopefully it stays "live" until March 1st.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Keep the sand indoors and put a powerhead in there with it near the top to keep the water stirred around. A few hermit crabs in the bucket will help ensure the bacteria stay live (provide an ammonia source for the sand).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does the tank need to be a standard 10 gallon AGA?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Does not matter what kind of tank it is as long as the Volume is 10 gallons. Does not have to be a AGA tank if you have something else of something that you built feel free to use it as long as it is 10 gallons.

·
Registered
259 Posts
hmmm..... This could get interesting

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If I wasn't moving in May, I would be all over this contest... Maybe a late entry??? lol Oh well, good for a free bump.......

·
Registered
742 Posts
Cool project, but $150 is not hard to do. The trick IMO is getting the right light so that even common/simple corals look good. If I had the time this semester I would hop all over this too, but no point since I will probably be in another state for the summer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Either one you like, Whatever fits your needs the best and you think you can do the most with go that way.

Thanks for joining us!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts