Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

10 Gallon Aquarium Contest

13K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  HASTINGSRJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are the tentative rules for the CFT 10 Gallon aquarium contest. Prices for coral and livestock will be 75% of the Live Aquaria value. If they do not have what you have you will need to contact Foresteronw to get an official price for the item. He is not participating so this should not be a problem. Also Crystal Coast coral is sponsoring this event with prizes so lets all be thankful for that. I will be participating in this contest but ONLY for fun not eligible for any prizes. Please post up on this thread if you are entering. I apologize for everything being jumbled it is not the easiest to format on a forum if you would like to view an easier to read Document let me know and I can send you one.

Carolina Fish Talk’s 10 Gallon Tank Contest
Sponsored by Crystal Coat Coral
For all questions PM Jeb0823
First off this contest is based on the honor system so let keep it honest so it will be fair for everyone. Also the number 1 goal for this is for everyone to have fun and for beginners to see what can be accomplished on a small budget.
Rules.
1. Must use a 10 gallon aquarium.
a. No sumps are allowed
b. HOB filters and refugiums are allowed as long as they are no larger than a Aqua clear 110
c. MUST be a standalone system this cannot be plumbed into your existing system.
d. You can build false walls to make your tank all-in-one or however you want to do it but you have to figure those materials in your budget.
2. There is a maximum budget of $150 for this contest.
a. Your tank, substrate, live rock, water, supplements are excluded from this budget.
b. Also, all equipment such as mag-floats, nets, scrapers and such that are less than $10 do not count into your budget.
c. All lights, pumps, skimmers, filters, power heads, heaters, count towards your budget.
d. All livestock counts towards your budget as well.
i. Fish and coral will be 75% of the live aquaria value
e. If you receive and item free or take a frag from your existing tank you need to factor in the appropriate amount to you budget allotted.
f. If you have used equipment laying around the house or pick up an item at a steal from another person come up with an HONEST price for this product. If you have a doubt about your price feel free to ask what a reasonable price would be for it.

3. Dates
a. The official contest will begin on March 1st that is the first day to begin and start your aquarium be it Salt or Freshwater. To be eligible for contest you must not start your entry until March 1st. On March 1st you may begin filling your tank and getting it ready for livestock. You may not start your tank before then so that it will be cycled as this will give you a significant advantage over another contestant.
b. Monthly pictures updates are required to stay in the running for the contest.
Participants will be allowed to join the competition late however there tank must have been started after the March 1st starting date. Also there will be no exceptions to the mid-way poll or the final poll.
c. The contest will officially end on Sept. 1st all picture and comments must be submitted on your build thread before Sept. 1st at 11:59 p.m.
d. A voting poll will be started on Sept. 2 to determine the final winner of the contest.
4. Prizes
a. Prizes will be determined by our Sponsor Crystal Coast coral.
b. There will be a Half way prize to keep everyone motivated as well as a final prize for the overall winner.
c. There is no set goal for the tanks the voting will be based on who has achieved the best and most unique 10 gallon aquarium during the contest.
5. Things to Remember
a. This contest is purely for fun so let’s keep it honest and friendly.
b. If you comment on someone else build thread lets be sure to keep it positive and helpful.
c. Once the contest has begun there will be NO rule changes or exceptions to keep it fair for everyone.

See less See more
#31 ·
Cool project, but $150 is not hard to do. The trick IMO is getting the right light so that even common/simple corals look good. If I had the time this semester I would hop all over this too, but no point since I will probably be in another state for the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.