Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my build thread for the 10 gallon contest. I am not eligible for the prizes just thought I would do one for fun. Now on to the fun stuff. I will be setting this up after I get back from spring break at the end of the weel.

Tank: 10 Gallon All-in-one Corian Tank courtesy of RedfishSC who built this himself. Matt has already had this tank set up before. Thanks for the tank Matt.
Tank price- FREE

Lighting: 2X65 PC retrofit kit took out of an old coralife fixture that was messed up. I received this for free courtesy of Saltwateraddict. Thanks!
Price- Free
Price deducted from budget- $30

For filtration I will be utilizing the all in one system which will be ran by a Maxi-Jet 400 or 600 which I will be picking up this week sometime while on spring break.
Budget left- $107.50

There will be about a 1 inch sand bed with 7-12 pounds of live rock.

Stuck a cheap canopy together to hold the retrofit kit. Bought all the wood and supplies from lowes to build it.
Price- $12.50

Tank

Tank with DIY canopy

Lights on minus one bulb

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I'm so glad to see this bad boy resurrected! You'll do it good, man!!!

If y'all would like to see how this tank was built, check out this link:

What on earth is this mess? - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Here's the threads from when I had it set up. Was an awesome tank but I just had to move up to a slightly bigger system. Wanted to do SPS and LPS and just needed the water stability that only a larger system can give.

The Rock-Box nano, up and running. - Nano-Reef.com Forums
10g "custom build" from acrylic/granite.. the RockBox Nano! - Page 2 - Reef Central Online Community

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Nice Justin!! cool to see a tank resurrected...and what a cool tank!!! Will you be using the sump part?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Cammie I will be using the sump part. I think I am going to throw in some chemipure elite as well as a desk lamp with a bulb for a small refugium on it. I am very anxious to get it going this coming up week.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
It's not a standard 10g glass tank. The dimensions are slightly different, and I don't think sumps are allowed (unless you can consider that big part a DIY Aquaclear filter.... then maybe :D)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I filled it up and it is really close to 10 gallons counting the sump so I don't really think that should matter with my outcome. I just wanted to set this up rather than a regular 10 gallon so it would be something different for people to look at.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
And different it is!

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
It's not a sump... it's a DIY Aquaclear :D

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I've got to ask...how much does that tank weigh?

Not so much as you'd think. Maybe about as much as a 40b empty.

Amazing on nano-reef.com it explains it being a sump but on here its not. I'm just a newbie though.

It's also referred to as a refugium. It's also referred to as a filter. Isn't any different than if someone were using a canister filter since it only adds a couple gallons to the system volume---- which, counting even the "sumpfilterfuge" adds up to barely 10g. The main display is actually smaller than a 10g.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
OK to clear up a few things...

Rule 1.d. states "You can build false walls to make your tank all-in-one or however you want to do it but you have to figure those materials in your budget."

The rule of not adding a sump was intended to make sure people weren't adding any capacity over 10 gallons to their system. Jeb's tank (including the other area that sum are referring to as a sump) is 10 gallons or less. It would be the same as using an 8 gallon biocube. It has a false wall but the total capacity is 10 gallons or less.

Let me know if this makes sense and if we need to clarify the rules.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK to clear up a few things...

Rule 1.d. states "You can build false walls to make your tank all-in-one or however you want to do it but you have to figure those materials in your budget."

The rule of not adding a sump was intended to make sure people weren't adding any capacity over 10 gallons to their system. Jeb's tank (including the other area that sum are referring to as a sump) is 10 gallons or less. It would be the same as using an 8 gallon biocube. It has a false wall but the total capacity is 10 gallons or less.

Let me know if this makes sense and if we need to clarify the rules.
+1. False wall-makes perfect sense. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts