Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

2 part- do you have a favorite brand?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Srad750c 
#1 ·
I have used SeamChem, Brightwell and Bulk Reef Supply in the past. None of them stood out above the others.

Do you have a favorite, and if so what is it?

#6 · (Edited)
I forgot to add . I have tried . B-Ionic , Warner Marine Calcimax or Cmax ,Two Little Fishes A n B , Kent Tech CB , Seachem Fusion ,tropic Marine Bio Calcium Balling Salts and a few other's but can't remember the names like some outfit in Florida sold ..
Palowsky's formula (father of 2 part ) works fine but after time u have to do a few things .
RO/Di water changes when the salinity climbs .
Other option is to do a water change with a lower salinity to fix the elevated level
Addition of Magnesium from time to time to offset imbalances in the big 3 . Ever heard of someone who has to dose more of one than the other .. ( this is why ) Lack of mag .

I again prefer the Ecosystem balling salts because .
Price ..its cheaper . Why pay more $$$ for Fauna Marin lite when u are using a diluted product.
It's the true balling method developed by HW Balling ( who works for Tropic Marin ).
It contains trace elements to assist with the depletion of elements .
Part C is composed of Sodium Free Salts n Mag ... This corrects the salinity climb and has mag to keep the big 3 balanced.
U don't have to use dosing pumps with any of the products mentioned above . As long as you test the big 3 on a frequent basis ,you know how much is being depleted so adding it by hand is easy .

#9 ·
How often do you find the need to dose magnesium in addition to the two part?

I believe I use it use BRS too, going to check into it. I think it is like $50 for a start up kit which does several gallons I think

#12 ·
I just purchased the Red Sea foundation A and B along with the test kit. Will get the C when needed. I have not started dosing yet but plan to test in the next couple of weeks and base it off what my levels are. I have heard good things about it and my LFS had it so I figured I would give it a try. I like simple so hoping once I get my base it will be pretty easy. I also plan to do frequent water changes so hoping my salt will keep the levels pretty consistent without much need to dose very often. We shall see. I use to dose mrs wages in my ATO but that was what caused my crash on my 180 when my ATO got stuck and dumped a bunch of lime water in the tank...once that happened I raised the white flag and took my much needed hiatus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.