Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

equipment
Jbj intermediate 28 gallon led nanocube
Jbj stand
Jäger 100w heater
Jbj 3w uv sterilizer
Aquaeuro usa nano skimmer
Jaboe wp25 powerhead with 12v to 24v dimmer

livestock
As of now 20#s of Fiji pink live sand
Tomorrow I have 30#s of apurplereef.com rock arriving

I want a pair of clowns
Pair of bangaiis
And a mandarin (will add pods frequently)
Will also add a green bubble tip and whatever coral strikes my fancy as I find it.

Will post pictures of the setup so far, the sand storm is just now clearing. I've also had to keep the wp25 off because it's moving the sand around. Hopefully the liverock will break the flow up enough I can use it.

Any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running the aqua euro nano skimmer ii on it, however it's so small... I might look into a cad lights wp10 or a hanging back once I get it stocked

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I ran an HOB on mine and it worked well. You could see the cup sticking up on the back of the hood but it didn't bother me that much. I used an Eshoppes PSK100-h.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rock is here! Overall I'm happy with it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone use apurplereef.com.

Here was my first attempt. I decided it was too uniform and no swim throughs.

And this was my 4th attempt I think I'm gonna keep it like this.

·
Super Moderator
1,397 Posts
Looks good, you might have trouble cleaning that bottom area of glass with your rocks so close but I like the scape. Lots of area for corals...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Started getting some brown algae, tested 1.024 salinity 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 15ppm nitrate 8.0 ph. So I added 10 nassarius, 10 cerith, 10 blue legs, 10 empty shells, 1 emerald crab, and 250 amphipods/copepods and a shaving brush macro. If everything still looks good hoping to make a trip to San antonio to pick up some fish next weekend

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the aqua euro nano skimmer 2 today and am shipping it back to dr foster and smith. The product was useless and threw massive micro bubbles into the tank even after 3 weeks. Not sure if I'm going to run skimmer less or if I'll get a nice hob skimmer.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I loved my HOB Eshoppes PSK-75h. It did a great job, had a fairly low profile, and there was no modification needed to the skimmer or tank for it to work. I have also heard good things about the AquaMaxx HOB1.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tip dbreefs! I'll definitely look into it. I was hoping for a sub $100 skimmer, but everything I read either says the eshopps 75, aquamaxx 1, or reef octopus bh1000. So more research and more saving

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
The PSK 75h use to be the cheapest among those, they started new at around 139.00 I believe. Maybe you could find a nice used one around somewhere. The HOB1 was 199.00 new, which is why I went with the PSK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts