Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like this forum is slow but I'll throw this out there since y'all should be very familiar with my well water specs. I need some recommendations for plants for my 30L planted tank - things that will grow in our untreated local well water. Need foreground and mid ground.

Tank substrate is sand, black blasting sand and fluorite. Lights are 2x39 watt 36" T5 bulbs with an eheim canister (250 maybe?), a small piece of drift wood, red and green wendtii and an ozelot sword. Would like some colorful plants too. 3 guppies and a beta (kids choice) are the only livestock for now. No CO2 but that is a possibility and I can add at least 2 more T5 bulbs easily or add an LED if needed to support some local plants.

I'm hoping to come to next week's RAS meeting - sounds like an interesting presenter.

Thanks for any recommendations.

FYI - I had a planted tank over a decade ago that was full of red and green wendtii and some swords. Everything grew well but I'm looking for a bit more variety this go round.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping my own thread here. Sorry.

I didn't make the RAS meeting Thursday unfortunately. I hope to come to the auction Sunday but am a bit unclear on how it works. Is bidding done in real time or in advance? I've registered at mygroupauctions and see 107 lots are up. Will everything be on display or do I need to come knowing what is what and what I want to bid on in advance?

Just a bit unsure about how the auctions works.

Also, are their direct sell tables where vendors/hobbyists can sell or is everything sold only through the auction?

Are vendors and hobbyists selling things on Saturday or is Saturday just displays and talks with no sales? I am really interested in both talks by Mr. McLane so I may come Saturday too but would like to better understand exactly what's happening.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I buy the majority of my plants from Han Aquatics. You are fairly limited to what you can grow without CO2, but a good foreground plant would be staurogyne repens or Lobelia Cardinalis 'Dwarf'.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question - is there another forum the RAS folks use? Surprised that with reported 250 person attendance last year that there isn't more activity so I'm guessing it is taking place elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
The RAS Facebook GROUP is currently the main mode of communication in between our monthly newsletters. This is NOT a swap meet; the auctions are the main sales venue. For vendors on Sat, Eric LaCroix (Carolina Discus) is the only one I've heard about so far. Batfish Aquatics is unfortunately not coming this time, since Big Fish Deal in MD is this same weekend. There's also a mini-auction Fri night after Larry Jinks's Corydoras talk, and sometimes there's a rare fish mini-auction on Sat, but I haven't heard anything about that for this weekend. On Sunday, livestock are live-auctioned, and dry goods are done by silent auction (a sheet of paper beside each item where you write your bid). Livestock are displayed on tables in the hallway, and there are breaks during the live auction when you can inspect the remaining bags without missing the auction. Most of us like to preview the items on MyGroupAuctions so we can look up info on unfamiliar species before bidding begins. Very few items get entered in the database more than a day or two before the auction, and the number of items usually doubles during the last 24 hrs. I'm bringing driftwood, Java fern, Bolbitis, Amazon frogbit, Elodea canadensis, Sagittaria graminea, Crypt. affinis, ... maybe others. Brandon McLane (one of the speakers) will be donating a bunch of cool plants for the auction, and we have many expert plant growers in the club bringing their extra trimmings.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gerald. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like Sunday would be a great day for me to get my 6 week old 30 (33?) long stocked with some more plants.

Can I sit next to you so you can tell me what to bid on for a newb tank? :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also sounds like I need to come Saturday for:

1:00pm Brandon McLane: Aquascaping: Creating Your First 'Scape
4:30pm Brandon McLane: Choosing Great Plants for Aquascaping

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Sure! Although i'll probably be running around more than sitting. I'm the skinny guy with poofy gray hair. Whats your water hardness (GH)? Some wells are hard, some are soft.

Thanks Gerald. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like Sunday would be a great day for me to get my 6 week old 30 (33?) long stocked with some more plants.

Can I sit next to you so you can tell me what to bid on for a newb tank? :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
~ 180. A little hard but not too bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not ask some friends? The possibilities are endless when it comes to plants, seeds, or the type of ground used. I've recently started this hobby and I must admit that I am hooked. I am fortunate enough to own a pretty big garden in order to explore everything when it comes to this domain. I've even read some articles about the best expandable hose consumer reports in order to find what works for me and so far I've managed to harvest some fruits and vegetables. One day, I will be able to afford to buy a piece of land in order to expand my garden

1 - 11 of 11 Posts