Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I finally got my new 75 set up!

Over the last few years I have downgraded from a 75 to a 40 breeder to a 12 nanocube, mostly because of living in apartments and moving every year. Now that I own a house and won't be moving soon I decided it's time to set up my dream tank. :D

About the setup: (I bought this from a member here)

75G reef ready tank with corner overflow
Kona brown custom stand and canopy
Closed loop system. (2 3/4" return lines split into 4 lockline outlets)
Euro-Reef Skimmer with Sedra 3500 pump
36" 4 bulb t5HO lights fixture.
Blueline 40 pump for CLS
Sedra 3500 return pump

I'll add more as I think of it.

My next purchase besides livestock will be LED lights. I'm leaning towards a Reef Breeders Photon 48. So far the only livestock in the tank is a single percula clown which is about 2". Also there is currently a wave maker splitting the CLS return line. It's not working and is only allowing flow to one side so I'm thinking of either replacing it with a simple PVC split or a SCWD. Do you guys have any better suggestions?

I'll upload pics from my cell phone in a min.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice tank,I am worried about that door knob,I have used a squid with 2 3/4 outputs on it and it worked great,On the discharge side or outlets in your tank you have two fittings on the 90`s,where the two lines tie together and branch off there is a lot of resistance ,what I would do,to get more flow is loose the 90`s,Be careful of diggers being put in your tank,I would raise the suction side of the pump up,and place a black prefilter sponge around it,You would be surprised when that pump gets locked up with gravel how much circulation will drop and the organisms would suffer from ,and it usually happens when no one is around....Just my two cents

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a stopper on the door which prevents the door knob from coming close to the tank but thanks for looking out. The flow through the CLS is more than I need even with the 90 degree elbows. I might actually have to close the outlet valve a little when I get coral in the tank. Originally there were two outlets on each side but they were vertical so I got a couple of elbows to make them horizontal and spread the flow across the length of the tank. That's a good suggestions about the return. I'll look into the sponge idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
iF,You had 2 3/4 discharges for the squid you could boost up the flow rather than the velocity,of the flow,which could help from blasting an unsuspecting new fish when they hit the deck, so to speak,you could run the pump wide open,which would make it quite and make it last longer,and as a benifite it would rock the tank more so to speak,and give a neat sway to the tank.......Several friends of mine have had their pumps locked up and melted because gravel got stuck in their pumps,When the pump melts,or if it melts the water goes to the lowest point,which means low tide in the tank,high tide in the room,I hope you don`t suffer that problem....I have a breeder that I am tinkering with It has a closed loop set up 2 3/4 loc-line discharges and a sqwd and a pcx-40 pump,and from what i have been experimenting with rock formations and structures it is pretty hard to beat and flexible,,every thing has threaded fittings, oversize unions and ball or gate valves so if I have to change or want to change I have options,and is very clean looking..Best of luck,Happy tanking...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts