Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I I have never been one to post much, but I do enjoy Reading and looking at everyone else's tanks, and I have to admit that I have stollen ideas from many of you in the past and incorporated them into my systems before in the past. This is my attempt to contribute to the forum, and Keep myself accountable for this tank. I'm going to post the good, the bad, the ugly as this tank progresses. Please feel free to ask questions, and provide any suggestions or tips as you see fit!

Equipment

- 90 Gallon Rimless Starfire SC Aquarium with PNP systems overflow (Herbie overflow)
- ATI 8x54 T5 Sunpower (undecided which bulbs to use as of yet)
- 75 gallon DIY Sump
- 40b Frag/Grow out tank plumbed into 75 gallon sump
- ATI 6x24 T5 Sunpower for frag tank
- DIY Stand
- GHL 2.1 SA 4 pump Doser
- Eshopps Axium x-160 Protein Skimmer
- Reef Keeper Elite Net Controller
- BRS Dual Reactor
- Maxspect Gyre 130 and Jebao PP8 power heads
- Jebao DCP 10000 Return pump
- Finex 300w Titanium heater (will more than likely add another for redundancy)
- Mars Hydro 300w Full spectrum Grow light (not purchased yet)
- JBJ ATO
- 40lbs Marco rock and 40 lbs of Marco prime cuts rock
- 80 lbs of Caribsea Dry Special grade reef sand

The Plans for this tank is to be a SPS Dominated tank, I haven't ever had much success with SPS but I really haven't put my effort towards providing the best environment for them to thrive either, so I am going to give it my best effort with this tank. I'm going to try my best at doing a minimalist aquascape, with about a 1 1/2" sand bed.

Now for the fun stuff.... Im going to go with the Triton Method and dosing the Triton Elements, this method intrigues me and I really like the concept of no water changes but understand that it may not completely eliminate water changes but will hopefully greatly reduce them. With designing my own sump with the 75 gallon tank gives me all kinds of options, but the Triton Method suggests putting the Fuge before the Skimmer so the Fuge is supplied with unfiltered tank water. Fuge section is 20 1/2" x 17 1/2" x 13" giving me roughly 20 gallons of fuge which should meet the requirements of the Triton Method of 10%-15% of water volume. The Sump will be located in a unused closet behind display tank giving me plenty of space to put what ever equipment I want and plenty of space to do maintenance on tank and not making a mess and have hoses, barrels, buckets, pumps ect. laid out everywhere while I'm doing such tasks. The 40b Frag tank will be drilled and plumbed into 75 gallon sump and located in same closet that sump is in. RO/DI filter and and salt water mixing barrels will be located in same closet. The only equipment that will be located in stand under display tank will be a Reef Keeper Power Bar for the lights and Power Heads, and minimal plumbing that will go through wall into closet.

The Wife is helping me finish the stand and She and I have decided to use reclaimed pallet wood and give it a distressed finish with chalk paint, and add a few colors in the finish to match decor of house, but because I decided to involve her in this part of the project it has made her more "excited" about tank!

I will Post some pictures soon of the progress I've made so far.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is awesome. It’s so exciting to start up a new tank and I love the plan. I would like to do something g do
I’m at on my next build so I’ll be following your progression . Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!!! I'm really getting excited about this build, especially now thats its all starting to come together!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the weather I was able to get some stuff done, biggest task was getting the closet cleaned out lol...Heres a couple pics, the smaller tank pic is not my tank, but this is how I plan on finishing my stand. Sorry for the side ways pic...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Progress

Here is the Progression so far, I'm waiting on overflow box for the frag tank to come in the mail and once it gets here I can start drilling and do some plumbing. Once Plumbing is done all the live stock in the 60 cube will get moved into frag tank so I can get the Cube out of the way and finish up the plumbing on the 90 and start filling it up! I need to put together a livestock list, but as of now I have 1 Gold Banded Maroon Clownfish, a Royal Gramma, Melanurus Wrasse, 2 Blue Green Chromis, and a Red Spotted Blenny. The Maroon will stay in 40b with his Bubble tip, The Melanurus Wrasse will more than likely stay in the 40b also mainly because he likes to kill crabs, The Red Spotted Blenny is a D***, he likes to bite any Frags that is in his way or prevents him from perching where he wants so he may go into Fuge which is unfortunate because he is a really cool fish with tons of personality, the Royal Gramma and 2 Blue Green Chromis will go into 90. I have never been big on overstocking tank, usually stick with a 1 fish per 10 gallons of display but that may change with this tank...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey bud just a recommendation, do what I didnt do and cut a slit in the canopy so you can pull your splash shield out to change bulbs without removing the fixture. I suspended mine from aluminum stock that I can slide in and out of the canopy, thinking that would be sufficient, but I failed to take into account the length of the cord restricting my ability to put the fixture somewhere convenient temporarily while I switch out the bulbs. Huge PIA. I have to rest it on the trim on the front of my stand and a step ladder.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey bud just a recommendation, do what I didnt do and cut a slit in the canopy so you can pull your splash shield out to change bulbs without removing the fixture. I suspended mine from aluminum stock that I can slide in and out of the canopy, thinking that would be sufficient, but I failed to take into account the length of the cord restricting my ability to put the fixture somewhere convenient temporarily while I switch out the bulbs. Huge PIA. I have to rest it on the trim on the front of my stand and a step ladder.

I have been thinking about this a good bit actually, I have been rolling over ideas about using some Heavy Duty Drawer sliders but was concerned about the weight of the fixture and having to counterbalance the hood so that when I slide fixture out the canopy wouldn't tip over, I have also thought about routering a slot in side of canopy so guard can be removed which would be the easiest solution, I have also been playing with the idea of a Floating Canopy but there again this is a 8 bulb fixture and Im trying my best to eliminate light spillage into room and with the Stand being 42" tall I didn't want the first thing I see when I sit down on couch to be the blinding light produced by t5s.... Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been thinking about this a good bit actually, I have been rolling over ideas about using some Heavy Duty Drawer sliders but was concerned about the weight of the fixture and having to counterbalance the hood so that when I slide fixture out the canopy wouldn't tip over, I have also thought about routering a slot in side of canopy so guard can be removed which would be the easiest solution, I have also been playing with the idea of a Floating Canopy but there again this is a 8 bulb fixture and Im trying my best to eliminate light spillage into room and with the Stand being 42" tall I didn't want the first thing I see when I sit down on couch to be the blinding light produced by t5s.... Thanks for the suggestion!
No prob. I think the slit is your best bet, by far. That way you also don't have to have slack in your power cord and can keep it nice n tidy. Everyone loves good cord management :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm also considering not running the light without the splash guard on the light, especially since the light will be 12"-13" off the water line, I know that ATI wants you to use the splash guard because the way it was designed to cool bulbs but I ran across this on youtube today which got me thinking... Skip to 23:15 mark and he talks about this...https://youtu.be/C61DTnWKGjc

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the delay in the updates, the month of January has been crazy, Then family Plumbing Business that has been running since 1995 that my Dad started all by himself closed its doors Jan 1st mainly due to him having a heart attack and being hospitalized for over a month, so I have been super busy finishing up some unfinished projects on my own and its kept me pretty busy. Now about the tank there has been lots of progress on build this fish room is 95% complete, everything is plumbed, hooked up, wired up with a couple odd and ends that need to be finished. The 60 cube has been transferred to the 40b frag tank in fish room and everything is settling in nicely. The 90 has been moved to its final resting place and has been Plumbed into sump w/ the exception of needing to pick up a new 1" bulk head for the return (I grabbed a Threaded one and not a slip...) I need to finalize the Aquascape, rinse sand, and start making some saltwater. Here are some pics!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts