Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well jeez, I was looking at my tank, enjoying the effect the moonlights have on the rocks. When I get a glimpse of a CRAB!! And I feel along the lines about crabs as Cammie. There is no good crab.

Anyway, it was gone by the time I got the camera. It was the size of a dime including legs. And it was a creamy white color. Almost like the little sea stars you get as hitch hikers sometimes. All claws seemed about the same size. It appeared a little "fuzzy". I could not make out any eyes from my view point. I did not notice any other distinguishing marks.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That much I had worked out on my own. And have been putting together a trap.

What I was really looking for was an identification.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Oh my. get the chicken liver ready!!!!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Eric D, I did not realize there were so many species. It looks a little like the white one at the bottom under tiny crabs protect corals. I need to get a better look obviously. From what I can recall all the claws were the same and fairly short and thick compared to its body.

Fishfan it is in the 150G, in a little crevasse in the rock at the very front. If it was in the seahorse tank, I would be working harder to get it out. Actually I have taken the column tank down, all it has is rock and sand and some water (and snails!), waiting to go in the 55G. The seahorses are in my 20G temporarily.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
You know... not all crabs are bad. (Unless they involve a trip to Tijuana)

Dude...not another headache from laughing so hard again... ;) Been to Tijuana..hehehe

I agree, that's a bad crab...I have to admit that I love emerald crabs though. I watch mine for long periods at a time.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the crab may have won the first few battles...but guess who won the war...:D

Nasty claws on the little bugger...
Any id now?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
DON'T HURT HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make him a sump monster :)

oh and how did ya catch him (u did notice its a him)

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
He does look cool, little SOB. I vote for sump monster as well....or trigger food.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh oh, too late
The good news is my diamond goby and my sea star had a great dinner of fresh crab.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
well better that being a toilet monster

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
and u never did say how u caught him

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a few tussles with him. Last night I think I injured him with a bamboo skewer. In the process I knocked out a small hammer coral that was sitting near his cave. Today after work I went to put it back in its niche but noticed it was all drawn in. Then I saw the little bugger was hiding in there. I pulled it up and out of the water before he could get out of it. Put the coral back in...eventually put the crab back in... coral all in one piece the crab NOT SO MUCH (in about 4 pieces).

I am convinced the only good crab is a dead crab. And I am not sure I can ever eat one again either.

LOL, I can hear my pistol shrimp clacking in there now. I bet he managed to get hold of a piece of it.

Ah poor little crab. But now my other critters are safe. Well at least for now until the next hitchhiker shows himself.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DON'T HURT HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make him a sump monster :)

oh and how did ya catch him (u did notice its a him)
I did not see the second part of your post until now. What shows you it is a "him". Did he have a mustache??????:)

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
You go Kim. Good for you!!! Crab food!!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep! I am relieved. I think "he" was already bigger than the first time i saw him. Little SOB is right Joe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts