Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sigh I just had an algae bloom in my lil tank .....pulling hair out trying to get it right

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
That is a very good article! I'll add one thing I don't think is in there: and it works for saltwater at least - keep your kH up! Between 10-12 seems best......

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've tried all of the above! I have a 46 gallon heavily planted tank with 3 cory cats. I have put phosphate remover in my filter. I'm starting use with tap water filter just to make sure all unwanted chemicals are removed. I purchased amano shrimp, true SAE's and yet I still have black beard/brush algae. I'm going to try and get more SAE's but they don't seem to really eat the stuff good. I have heard you can use hydrogen peroxide if your extremely careful to kill some of it. I'm almost to the point of tearing the tank apart! In the future I'm not putting anything into my tank without dipping it in bleach solution first or quarantining it.

David

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
David, what are your phosphates levels? You want some P04 in your water. Are you dosing ferts? Injecting C02? How long are your lights on for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have itty-bitty algae SPOTS.... almost as if they're in the pores of the tank glass.

And, being fish addicts, ANY REASON is a good reason to get more fish, so we went out and bought two plecos (high-fin and something similar), after the five Otos weren't getting the job done.

I've now watched the plecs scrape along the glass and also not seem to have ANY effect on the teeny polka dots.

Any thoughts? The algae isn't getting any worse. It's not on the glass between the dots, nor is it on the rocks or plants in the tank.

Do we just have more fish and now need to use a chemical for the glass issue?

I'm afraid they're not getting enough to eat as they don't seem to be "cleaning" the glass.

Thanks!
Lisa, Teresa and Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts