Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/girls,

I have an asm g1 skimmer in my sump for my 55 gal. reef tank. I recently bought the skimmer off of ebay and it has some problems with the pump. It has a g500 pump(stock) and it is making an awful noise. I unplugged it and adjusted it and it quit for almost a day... Then it started back up again! I know it is the impeller bc the pump runs ok! should I stick with the stock pump and just replace the impeller or do you guys think the pump is warped some how and needs replacing? If I need to replace it, should I get another g500 or should I go with the sedra 2500?

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
I have one one a 30 gal tank and I've noticed when the water level is below a certain point in the sump it makes that noise. Try adjusting the height of the water in your sump, clean the impeller and pump (if you haven't already) and give it another try. I've been able to eliminate the problem as long as the water level stays above the magic level.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried soaking the impeller in vinegar and it didn't help. so, do yall think i should get a new impeller and try it? do you think that may be the problem? is the sedra pump that is similar, better? Idk im just tired of having to attempt to fix it every couple of hours!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have the same problem with my ASM G1 w/ Sedra 2500 pump. My pump sits in the stable part of my sump where the water level doesn't change too. I may need to take it apart and clean it up, though that was done not too long ago. I'm thinking I will buy another Sedra 2500 just to be safe, unless I can put a 5000 on that sucker?

ncstatematt40...your best bet would like be to ensure that the pump is cleaned and inspect for visual damage. If everything looks good, you could probably continue to use it but I would keep a spare on hand.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Yeah, it's not so much the fluctuation of the water in the sump, it's the depth of the water. I won't say that I know what the exact reason is but if mine is in less than 7" of water, the pump makes that noise. Once it's greater than 7 inches, the sound stops.

As for damages- sometimes the impeller will swell with usage and it does need to be replaced. I've also noticed some type of 'build up', almost like calcium build up at the bottom of the pump, where the bottom of the impeller is seated. I've had to scrape mine out, soak it in vinegar before. Swelling of the impeller is usually the most common issue if any type of damage is involved.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Hmmm... Not sure if it would overpower it or not. My fear would be that it would push too much water through the skimmer and reduce water contact time inside (allowing it to bubble up)

If anything, I would mod it. (turn the existing pump into a recirculating pump with a mesh mod on the impeller and create another intake line with a maxijet pump to feed it. Maybe even a gate valve on the output side to really dial in the skim height.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts