Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Ternatensis is her own little 20g tank with "her" rock and all. Possibly the easiest and coolest thing I've ever kept. And a couple of weeks ago she started acting stranger than normal. She was getting very defensive of her tank, and then I noticed a purple thing floating around on the bottom at one point that as soon as I touched it she grabbed it and took it back into her home. I though maybe it was a coral or anemone she was eating or something.

her tank is overrun by Amphapods constantly. She actually eats them, and tonight I was just checking out her tank and I noticed a funny looking Amp... Or so i thought. Turns out they are baby Mantis! I'm so excited! I knew I had a female Ternatensis when I bought her I just don't know how she bred considering it's just her.

So now for the real fun... what' next? Do I pull her out? Do I leave her? Will she kill them? what do they eat? and why are they digging in the sand? I'm so EXCITED!!!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I know they are small but we love pics :)

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Sweet!

The purple thing was the egg mass. I had a S. empusa do the same thing. I think they can store sperm for awhile but don't hold me to that.

Dunno what to tell you other than to keep up whatever you have been doing because its obviously going well. I presume they are digging in the sand to either feed or for safety. Maybe feed them small meaty foods (bbs)? Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's what I thought too, but upon closer inspection there truely are Mantis. They have the Mantis eyes and are starting to use their antenna's to communicate with each other and they pop eachother.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update! These guys just shed and the shed measured about 3/8 of an inch. They are eating Mysis, Cyclopsy, and Amps and Copes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just want to add, I have heard that mantis babies soon develop cannibalistic habits after hatching, so you may want to catch and separate the strong ones in order to grow them individually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts