Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
moving my tank in a few days

Was thinking of replacing the sand with black tahitian sand

Just one 20lb bag of live should be fine for a (2 x 2 x(1 ft high)) 30 gallon rimless cube

I dont want it deep just covered.

Anyone thoughts on black sand in a reef tank?
Likes? Dislikes?

My fiance says it will make all the corals colors "pop" more.

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually your tank is 29.9220 gallons,LOL,A twenty pound bag should give you 3/4 of an inch of gravel,your tank would pop so to speak black is a great show color ,try a dynamic blue back round with it,....Remember it will not buffer your alkalinity or Ph,it is chemically inert for a lack of better word...I say go for it....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've never had it with any black sand I've used but rumor is some of it is magnetic and will get stuck in a magfloat you clean your glass with. Looks wise I prefer black sand I think. Either way if you are moving the tank I would replace the sand with new instead of trying to reuse what you have. Good luck

·
Registered
767 Posts
Some black sand will attract to magfloats, but Ive had black tahitian sand in my 90 for a couple of years now. It isnt that bad with getting stuck on the float, but it definitely does show detritis more. If you have good flow, the water should keep it pretty clean though.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Back Sand

We have the Tahitian Moon mixed with some white. Love the look but would stay away from
that again since it is magnetic and does not buffer. There is Hawaiian Black which is aragonite and has some white in it. Not sure if that will give you the look you're looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts