Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I have a school of Blind Cave fish (5or so). I noticed that there tails at the top are gone. like eaten off or tail rot but it only on them. I have watch there tank mates and have not see anyone chasing them or nipping them.So i've been scratching my head on this one.
The tank mates are; 1 upside-down cat, 1 midnight cat, 1 bumble bee cat, 6 albino coryes, 1 high fin pleco, 6 black skirt tetras, 4 danios. they are in a 55gal tank. Any help or thought would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Assuming your water quality parameters are reasonably good (and Astyanax are not too fussy), they're probably nipping each other's tails. Mexican tetras (including Blind Cave tetra) are notorious fin nippers; I'm surprised you're not seeing damage to the catfish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gerald, Nope no other fins a nipped...it weird. the cats look fine but the hide a lot. so maybe they are eat each other tail. Don't know. thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gerald, Had let you know you where right...there are 2 large blinds that a nipping at each other. Didn't see it before. I watched them for about an hour and saw one hit/nip the tail of the other. I wonder why they are not messing with the outer fish?? Everybody else still have there tails with no damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts