Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bubble tip from Joe down at carolina reef and love it so far but have a few questions. When i added him to the tank he was connected to a small piece of rock and i tried to put him in a low flow area. As soon as i set it down he released and was floating around my tank. He wound up in the bottom left corner of my tank where there's not much light due to my overflow. He attached to a rock and slowly crept around the back of it and is almost getting no light. I figured he would move himself to get more light but its been three days and he's stayed put. I cant feed him cause of his location and the rock is big so it's hard to move sooo.....

Is this normal?
Should I try to move him?
Leave him alone?

This is my first anemone! PLZ Help!:not sure:

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
let him be. He knows what he needs to survive! Watch him tho, nems should NOT be kept in tanks less than 6 months old. Just keep a close on on him.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
+1 Nemo. Im not an expert by far but I know with mine it kinda hid out for the 1st 5 days or so then set up on a rock about mid-way up the tank and stayed put. I had PC lighting at that time. He pretty much stayed there untill I got a new clown that pretty much beat him to death...lol but that's a whole differant story.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Just be careful that as she is moving around finding her perfect spot she does not get stuck in a an overflow or powerhead.

·
Registered
165 Posts
+1 Critterheaven. Most common cause of death.

Since you just got him, let him find his niche. When I was researching to buy my Bubble Tip, I read too many stories of people that tried to move their anemone only for it to up and die. He can't live without light right now, but moving him would only stress him out. Be patient and give him some time to move to where he is comfortable in the tank. It's nerve wracking, but it's necessary.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My water is fine. Have a few nitrates but nothing extreme ( I have a lot of livestock).All corals are doing good and its a mixed tank with lps sps and softies so it's not the water. My tank has been running strong for about a year so good there too. Just never had a anemone , kinda freakin, I'll just let nature do it's thing and wait:yawn:

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Just be careful that as she is moving around finding her perfect spot she does not get stuck in a an overflow or powerhead.

Why does it have to be a she? Why can't it be a he? :D

What kiind of lighting do you have in your tank? Water quality and lighting (Like corals) will have a lot to do with it's happiness. The main difference is, the anemone can walk around the tank.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Why does it have to be a she? Why can't it be a he? :D

If it was a he, it would have found a spot on the couch, made a butt rut and gotten up only to get a beer or find the remote.:taunt::rolf2:

Sorry to take it off topic

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahaha true thathahahahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Kim knows her anemones, that's for dang sure!

+1 to the lighting question--- what do you have?

The BTA's behavior, right now, probably isn't a light issue. Anemones do this when stressed-- like many other animals--- they hide.

My BTA got chewed up in a powerhead (which, btw, will NEVER happen again, I made sure of that). It survived, but lost several tentacles and was torn pretty badly.

It went from being about 6-8" around to about 3" around and chewed up (was shriveled badly) for days. It immediately hid behind some rocks for about a week. After a while it came back out and is doing incredibly well.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
If it was a he, it would have found a spot on the couch, made a butt rut and gotten up only to get a beer or find the remote.:taunt::rolf2:

Sorry to take it off topic
Good point and now that I think about it... This anemone has to be a woman. It won't do what's good for her, its fussy, and can't make up it's mind.

Great points Kim... Never thought of it that way. :D :taunt:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's awesome Foxface! hahaha and in my first post i refered to "it" as a he but anyways. hahaha.
As far as lighting I have two 150w DE Halides 20k and 96w PC actinic.

I know it's only been a couple of days but I wish HE would come out. HE is sooo awesome looking

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Yeah just be patient. he'll come out soon.

Your lights should be enough as long as your halide bulbs are good brands and you have good reflectors.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Good point and now that I think about it... This anemone has to be a woman. It won't do what's good for her, its fussy, and can't make up it's mind.

Great points Kim... Never thought of it that way. :D :taunt:

I call all mine girls and do my best to give them time to be selective. :) Maybe that is why they look like this (or maybe because they look like this I call them girls :ROTFL:

Seriously of the two RBTA's, neither have really moved once I put them in the tank. Weird

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
that's awesome Foxface! hahaha and in my first post i refered to "it" as a he but anyways. hahaha.
As far as lighting I have two 150w DE Halides 20k and 96w PC actinic.

I know it's only been a couple of days but I wish HE would come out. HE is sooo awesome looking
Yeah- It's already been said but give HIM time and HE will come out when HE needs light and food. I would keep an eye on HIM though and make sure HE'S not deteriorating in the back of the tank somewhere. If it's fully deflated and it looks like it's disintegrating, you should remove it. Not likely but possible so just keep an eye on it.

I call all mine girls and do my best to give them time to be selective. :) Maybe that is why they look like this (or maybe because they look like this I call them girls :ROTFL:

Seriously of the two RBTA's, neither have really moved once I put them in the tank. Weird
Well... when you put it that way. I can see why it's a she. You'd have to be blind not to errr... um... appreciate the similarities.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
One question. assuming that your water parameters are fine, why do you need to wait 6 months before introducing an anemone into your tank?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My BTA chose to crawl all over the tank before deciding he wanted to make a home high on the front glass. Obviously this is not ideal for us humans. Also, one of our 2 clowns has already started hosting it. See any problems with me doing the following?:
1) feed the BTA and wait an hour or two (want him healthy and fed before messing with it)
2) turn off powerheads
3)carefully detach his foot from glass (I usually use my fingers to push in from the side of the foot toward the center which helps "peel" him off the glass)
4) "scoot" him over to a cave-like area in the rockwork
5) give it an hour or two to reattach before turning powerheads back on

Thoughts? Do I need to worry about getting stung? I don't recall that being an issue with our other previous anemones (years ago) although I have read (and possibly experienced) the effects of prolonged exposure to coral toxins. Anemones can only really hurt fish, correct? Its not like it will sting me like a jellyfish, or am I wrong?

TIA!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts